Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E-MU 0202 + SoftRock Ensemble II  (Read 8062 times)
DAVER

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:25:29 PM »

So i just ordered a SoftRock Ensemble II kit and while waiting for it to come I'm figuring out what soundcard would be good to use with my laptop (thinkpad t43 with 2gb of RAM). I found the E-MU 0202 on amazon for a fair price and am seeing what if any advice you have towards it? There's also a new version, the E-MU 8740A 0204 but it costs $50 more and am unsure if it would work better or not. Also, they don't have a standard stereo input it looks like you need to run the L and R channel separate. Any experience/advice on this? Thanks a million and I'm very excited to try out this new set-up!

Thanks,
Dave
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »

The specs are really close, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between the two.

You didn't mention what version of windows your laptop is running and I can't tell for sure if the older model supports windows7.
OS support seems to be the deciding factor.

As for the two separate inpute channels, Radio Shack has a Y splitter that will take a mini-stereo in and send it out as two individual L & R out. Not much to worry about there.
If your laptop already has sound, however "bad" it might be, you might want to put the enseble together first and have it working before springing for the upgraded audio.

Oh.. and excuse me if I cut anyone off in the the queue Smiley

DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:29:14 AM »

Thanks for the response. The T43 is running xp pro. It only has a "mic" input which from what I could find on the lenovo site is only mono. Though i can actually do a quick test to find out... wouldn't be the first time I found a pc with something other than specified in it Wink

Don't need the bandwidth offered by using that high of a sampling rate, but want to minimize the gigantic "center bump" that I've seen other people online have.

Dave
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »

I am using a Echo MiaMidi with LP Pan.  It is a 96K board.  I like the balanced input on the audio, reduces chances of hum compared with most other boards.
DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »

Ok I ordered the e-mu 0204 figuring that then I can use it even if I get a new computer. Also, it's black so will match my ten-tec project box set-up Wink

Anyhow after I get all of this (hopefully this week) I'll post an update here on how everything is working. As of now I'm planning on using sdr-radio for the program, but will try winrad as well. See which one is easier to get working!

Dave
DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:15:45 PM »

So I got the E-MU 0204 in earlier today and after work ripped it open and installed the drivers. I didn't get my proper audio cables in yet, didn't have a BNC conector either, also the receiver is not in a case yet. So I hooked everything up with some quick and dirty homebrew stuff (all unshielded).

Took me several minutes to get the L and R channel on the front of the 0204 set properly... but afterwords... WOW! The Ensemble II is a great receiver. It played with WinradHD right away.

I headed over to try out SDR-Radio and it worked as well, but I can only get it to handle 96khz for some reason. I want to like SDR-Radio more, but the noise filtering doesn't seam to perform nearly as well.

With the spectrum displays it's incredible to see the effect of my pre-selector as well. I'm running it off of just 9v... works great. Will use the power supply when I get it in a case. Anyhow, thought I'd share the update. I can't believe how well this thing hears. One note I did find was that on this machine (older thinkpad T43) by setting the memory to system cache mode it allowed the audio to perform much better. Probably just because it gives priority to the drivers.

Take care,
Dave
DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 06:41:50 AM »

Just wanted to update this in case anyone else uses the 0204 or 0202 card for input. So far I found having both the L and R channel set to 0 (full ccw) seams to work out great. At least it keeps them at the same point and turning them up too much (past like 10 oclock) adds noise. I think the card goes from 0 gain added to +60db CW. As far as I can tell there's no gain needed.

One thing i did find was that attaching a cheap amplified speaker I use for some stuff to either the line out or the headphone jack on the 0204 and turning it on (runs on 3 AAA) adds some interference to different bands. doesn't add to the noise floor in general, just adds interference that is visible at specific spots through the HF spectrum. I live in a very noisy location (RF wise) and it's interesting seeing them pop up when things get turned on for example. Makes it easy to track down sources of noise.
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »

If anyone cares I found a good PCI sound card that does 192khz for my Softrock.

The cheap asus sound cards on newegg.com can actually do 192khz and hardly have any noise in the middle either.

I was looking into a EMU, MAUDIO something else until I found one of those.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132007

Getting 192khz for less than $90, not a bad deal.  So far this card is working well.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:16:25 AM by WS4E » Logged
KG0MN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 08:38:25 AM »

DAVER

If you are still around I would love to ask you about the Ensemble II SDR you have, I am trying to get mine to work correctly.

Tnx
KG0MN
DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »

Yeah I'm on here. Not sure how much help I'll be but any questions you have i might be able to. Is it a hardware or a software issue?

KD2AKC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: