Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Ham's Moved Out of Region  (Read 2348 times)
KW9W

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »

So, it used to be required to add /New Region # when transmitting a call sign (after moving to a new region with an out of region call sign)? Apparently, this changed after the vanity call sign program in 1996 (some applicants do request an out of region call that is not region restricted).

I'd like a short history lesson on this, anyone?
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 04:16:11 PM »

Actually it changed in the late 1970s, around 1978. There were three parts to the old rule:

- You had to designate you were operating portable or mobile if you weren't at your primary station location. (So I was often "WA2FKS mobile.")
- If you were out of district, you had to designate that too. (So when I was in Massachusetts, I was "WA2FKS mobile 1.")
- If you moved out of district, when you notified the FCC of your new address they'd issue you a new callsign for the new district

That changed while I was at college (and I graduated in 1979). So when I moved to California after graduation, I didn't have to trade in my WA2FKS call but was allowed to keep it.

The advent of the vanity program didn't cause the appearance of out-of-district calls. It just offered another opportunity to get one  as it allowed applicants to request out-of-district calls without ever living there. Prior to that, all out-of-district callsigns were the result of changes of address.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:38:40 PM »

So, it used to be required to add /New Region # when transmitting a call sign (after moving to a new region with an out of region call sign)? Apparently, this changed after the vanity call sign program in 1996 (some applicants do request an out of region call that is not region restricted).

I'd like a short history lesson on this, anyone?

As a out of call area license holder, I get asked alot of time if I am mobile, portable or what since I am operating from California. I also get a few QSL cards that list me as W5DQ/6 which I am not. When I am operating at my home QTH (per FCC database) I only sign W5DQ but it I happen to be mobile or portable, I do sign with a identifer as such, like mobile 6, mobile or portable 5 (if I happen to be back at my mothers house in Arkansas (5 area)). I realize it can be confusing as it that way for me too occasionally but the point I am making is unless someone actually signs with a mobile or portable identifer, please do us a favor and don't add that to any callsigns on QSLs that you may send as it can cause some confusion when being checked by the ARRL card checkers for non-DXCC awards. Of course for DXCC it really doesn't matter so long as you're still within the US lower 48 for US hams.

Just an observation,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KW9W

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:22:41 PM »

Thanks for the info. and short history. The FCC no doubt saved tons of paper when the rules changed in the late 70's. I'll be applying for a shorter call, and look forward to reading your posts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: