Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity call - Tech to General  (Read 3562 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:20:14 AM »

Greetings:  I was asked a question about obtaining a vanity call by a friend.  I couldn't answer it and after researching this question, I'm still not sure of the answer.  (Every talk yourself out of something you know is right?)

Here the skinny.  My friend has a Tech license.  He wants to get the call of his deceased (4 years) relative, which was a 2X3 call.  The 2X3 call licensee was a General.

Can my Tech friend get this call?

No doubt this question has been asked and answered at least once on this forum, but I simply don't have time to go through dozens of pages of Q&A. 

I thank you for your consideration.

Al - K8AXW
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:28:10 PM »

According to the ARRL web site:

General or Technician class licensees can seek a 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W),
or 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W) -- FCC call sign Groups C or D.

http://www.arrl.org/vanity-call-signs

So.... Yeah.... A 2x3 Group D call is standard issue for both Techs and Generals and begins with K or W. Group C calls are 1x3 and begin with K, N or W.

You might want to mention to your friend that NØSEX is already assigned to Marvin Rice of Iron, MN who is also a Tech.  Grin

Never change a password on a Friday                
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:21:15 PM »

5UP:  Thanks for your answer.  That was my conclusion as well but there was a bit of doubt left because of a previous statement in the information that I read on the subject.

I'll pass this on to my buddy as well as the N0SEX callsign. 

BTW, how did you get the "slash-zero" on your computer?

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:04:24 PM »

It's actually the Nordic slashed 'Oh' but I won't tell if you won't.

On a Windoze machine hold down the ALT key while you punch in 0216 on the numeric keypad. Ø appears like magic. Most fonts have many more characters than the keyboard would indicate and there's a character map utility in Windoze that will give you the keycode for any character in a font. The direct access path is ALT plus the four digit code through the numeric pad.

If you're on a Mac or Linux machine there should be a similar method but you'll need to look it up.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:53:01 PM »

Many thanks.  I keep forgetting the character map in Windows.  I use the Alt 0176 for the ° (degree) quite often. 
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »

Do not attempt to use the slashed zero on the FCC site . It won't respond well .
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:21:36 AM »

I have to ask: when somebody in the "zero" call area gets his paper license from the FCC these days, does the zero have the slash?  I seem to remember seeing such a license years ago and it DID have the slash.

Of course, all the "mills" I used in the Navy had the slashed zero - and all the TTY machines...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »

Nope , you can look up a zero call ( try KB0OOO ) , and download a "Reference Copy " of the license that looks just like the real thing . Zero is narrow , O is wide , just like the typeface here .
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 02:59:46 PM »

RØger.  Thank yØu.  Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: