Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dipole Mystery  (Read 848 times)
KC2YQY

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:23:48 AM »

Awile back I saw an antenna that looked interesting. Now I cannot remember were I saw it. It is a dipole, but the feed line is not in the center. I do not remember if it had a balun. To the best of my knowlege it didn't have a ladder line, used regular cable. If anyone can jog my memory, let me know it's name. It was rather expensive - $120 I think. Thanks in advance. Bill
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:46:32 AM »

Some sort of Carolina Windom maybe

Mark N1UK
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:44:44 AM »

As per Mark,windom type .Check out Len Carlson K4IWL New Carolina windom  plans on the net.This is an inexpensive easy build which is a very nice antenna for qrp-dx at only 20ft. high and no tuner needed. Good luck on your search.

JIM,       W1JKA/QRP   
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »

Some form of Windom, but may not be a Carolina Windom.  The Carolina Windom has 20M vertical wires handing from each side.  They work, but there are some compromises.  They can be a bit narrow on some bands.  The point is to pick a feedpoint location where the complex impedance is close to 50 ohms at frequencies of interest.  But the efficiency may not be as good on some bands as others because the radiation resistance can be all over the place over a wide frequency range.

Don, K2DC

K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:44:48 PM »

Hi.

There are various Off Center Fed dipole type antennas out there. They will "work", but that type of antenna is a compromise on ALL bands and all
situations electrically; OCF's are NEVER optimized on ANY band! They are kind of forcing the round peg into a square hole, electrically.
Unfortunately, a number of commercial antenna manufacturers tout them like they
are the Do All, Be All antenna for ham radio.....and suck in a lot of new hams who bite on the advertising. Again, they can and do "work", but if
you look through the threads on here you will see a lot of guys who have RF in the shack issues, etc. with them.  Unless you truly understand
what you are dealing with and how to solve the problems an OCF might present at your shack, usually, you are better served with some type
of BALANCED antenna. i.e. one fed in the center.

Before you put money in to an OCF, and really, many other antennas, I strongly suggest you pick up a copy of the ARRL Antenna Book and
put in a little book time getting a handle on antenna basics. They are not that complex and the knowledge you pick up with be the best investment
you can make in your station.

73, K0ZN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: