Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indoor wiring question  (Read 2318 times)
KG4PES

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »

I am in the process of building my shack and have just started the run of main transmission and control wires from my preferred operating position in my office.

My basement is unfinished and gives me perfect access underneath the office and directly to the outside.  With one potential issue.  running the whole width of my house are 2 subpanel power lines going from my main breakers to the opposite end of the house for the outside hookup and disconnects for my outdoor compressors for my heat pump. 

The is no easy (or cheap cable wise) way to avoid running my lines across these two wires, as this is the most direct 40 foot run to run cables from the front of the house to the back.  Currently the only lines running over them are 5 LMR-400 lines, 2 shielded 8 wire rotator control wires, and a shielded heavy guage ground cable.  The are not directly on or touching the power lines and have several inches of clearance.  They cross the power lines perpendicular to them for about 1'2 an ich on each line wich are about 5 feet apart.

Thank you for any guidance on this matter.  I am concerned with risk of electrical issues, interference on the transmission lines,problems with rotator contol, and groudn.  any general comments on the matter and or safety are welcomed.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
73's KG4PES
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:44:28 AM »

There is no issue at alll. Keep the wires to you staion bundled and ideally follow the power line feed into your station.

You might read this and sub pages:

http://www.w8ji.com/ground_systems.htm
KG4PES

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »

Thanks for the link, I have had that one bookmarked for ever.  I have read it many times in the past it is a close model of what I have been planning and have under construction. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:44:58 AM »

Running your lines perpendicular to those power lines isn't a big deal.  It's when you run lines parallel and close to power lines like that that you may have a problem with noise pickup.  Run your lines and don't worry about it.
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 05:59:55 AM »

Running your lines perpendicular to those power lines isn't a big deal.  It's when you run lines parallel and close to power lines like that that you may have a problem with noise pickup

That is the key, parallel causes the problem, running 90deg across is fine.  Happened all the time when I worked mobile at the tv station, you always had to run across and not with power lines to prevent seeing/hearing 60hz hum in the video and audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: