Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Net Drills  (Read 2896 times)
K7RWB

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »

Our group does a Net Drill every week.  The first one of the month we try and have a Drill of some type.  It might be message taking, an Elmer on air class, etc.  However we are starting to run our of ideas.  I am hoping I could get some suggestions from this forum.

Thank you all!

Rowland
K7RWB

Thank you,

Rowland
K7RWB
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »

How many times do you run your NET, how long, and what bands?
K7RWB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:12:35 PM »

Weekly, on a local 440 repeater

Thank you,

Rowland
K7RWB
K7RWB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:23:13 PM »

I forgot to answer length...depends on how many participants but usually about thirty minutes. So far w have done the following drills:

Messaging
Emergent power only
QSY to a back up repeater
Net control dropping out to see if someone else took over
Check in with HTs only

Now we are trying to come up with viable useful drill ideas.

Thank you,

Rowland
K7RWB
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »

Once a month, have a roundtable discussion.  Announce a topic, and if it goes a little off topic, allow it--but not too far off topic.  That way the subject every month is different.  Take check ins and make a list of callers.  Then go down the list,  asking for comments on the subject, limit to two or three minutes.  Go down the list a second time so everybody can have an opportunity to answer or comment on the other roundtable participants.  Finally a short open comment period. 

You could well have a net that goes an hour or more if you get a lot of participants.  If so, you can cut down on the time limit.  You could also have different hams being net control with the subject being something they know about, that way they can moderate.  You could also have hams run a test or experiment and have them report their results at the session, then discuss that.

There are many ways to occupy a net night--and get more participants.  You could even have a club mini-meeting and discuss one subject of interest to the club!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: