Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MacBook Pro  (Read 1177 times)
K3ZXP

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »

I am finally getting ready to order my MacBook PRO.  My questions are these. It will be a 15 inch 2.0 ghz MacBook Pro with 4gb of ram and 500gb of hard drive. Is this big enough or should I get 8gb of ram and and larger hard drive or a bigger computer. This computer will be used for all the regular home things. I am not into producing a lot of music put I have about 4gb my I tunes and I just take basic photos I really don't do any editing. It will be used to operate my radios and log. I do have a small need to run some window programs.

Thanks for your help 
K3SF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »

hi

i have a new macbook pro 13 inch with i5 processor..i have installed 750gb hdd to replace the 350gb hdd and i installed 8gb ram upgrade...the ram is the most significant upgrade as this does affect overall performance...things run quicker with more memory..the hdd was due to a lotta data for my work

with this setup..

i can run vmware running xp for all my hamradio s/w and work s/w that only runs in pc environment while at the same time i am able to run other apps in OSX...this is mainly due to the additional RAM

the 500gb hdd should be sufficient BUT definitely upgrade the RAM to 8GB....

Paul K3SF

KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »

Agree 200% on the RAM. Also...if they offer a faster hard drive (read: higher RPM), that will show a significant performance boost when accessing the hard drive.

Personally I'd rather have a faster, smaller hard drive instead of a slow, huge one. Thats just me though.

SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:22:16 AM »

The new i7 is the fastest Pro you can get your hands on so far. I got mine a couple of months ago and I'm really happy
with the performance. I got 4GB of ram and 500GB of disk, the disk is almost empty even though I have lots of sw installed
and I do a lot of internet downloading.
Snow Leopard has an issue of ram going astray after many days of no restart/shutdown which Leo will hopefully correct,
but my 4 GB of ram have been enough, I haven't really needed more as far, although you can't ever have enough of ram :-)

Demetre VE3/SV1ENS
K3ZXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »

Thanks guys for all you help.  After your responses and talking to Apple I am getting a 15" Mac Book Pro with 8GB of ram and a 750 hard drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: