Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cw reverse on ic-718  (Read 1404 times)
N8CDN

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2002, 03:02:53 PM »

I hope someone can help. I have a ic-718 and was trying to figure out the cw reverse function. The manual is rather vauge on this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry N8CDN
KB1HYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2002, 08:48:10 AM »

I have an IC-718 as well.  As for employing the cw-reverse function, all you do is use the mode button.

The mode button isn't immediately intuitive.  Here is how it is used ...

If pushed quickly, it cycles between CW, SSB, AM and RTTY (maybe not in that order).

While CW is displayed, if you push the mode button and hold it, you get CW-Rev(erse).  If you push and hold it again, you get CW.  You also do that to switch between upper and lower sideband; and between RTTY and RTTY-REV.

From the factory, the IC-718 actually automatically selects the typically used either USB or LSB for each band as selected.

But - what IS this CW-reverse, and what is it good for?

From the manual ...

"... receives CW signals with a reverse side CW carrier point like that of LSB and USB modes ... when interference signals are near the desired signal and you want to change the interference tone ..."

In practice, if a signal isn't coming through well, try CW-Rev.  Sometimes it makes a big difference in the readability of the signal, and sometimes it doesn't.

Another thing, if you haven't tried to transmit CW yet - when I first got my 718 I thought it was broken, because when I put it in CW mode and tried to transmit, absolutely nothing happened.  That was because, at least on mine, it came with BK-IN set to OFF.  Before the code key actually will do anything, you have to change that setting.  (Manual pg 42)

Also, it comes preconfigured for a paddle.  Due to my newness to CW, I wanted to use a straight key.  In order to do that, you need to change the Key Type setting.  (Manual pg 45).

Hopefully, you'll find this helpful!

Brett KB1HYR
KB1HYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2002, 09:19:51 AM »

Another comment, though slightly off topic.  As you mention, the Icom manual is vague on the point.

I have two Icom products.  The IC-718 and an IC-T2H.

I enjoy both products immensely, and find them to be extremely high quality gear.

Their manuals, however, leave something to be desired.  Their manuals are hard to follow, and don't tie things together coherently.

Anyway, good luck and 73s
Brett
KB1HYR
N8YV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2002, 08:45:05 PM »

Just a quick analogy about the "why" part of CW-reverse---think of the CW carrier frequency as a 2-lane road.  On one side of that road, next to you, is an interfering signal which you just can't steer away from with the IF shift.

By using CW-reverse, you can switch over to the other lane, away from the interference a bit, which may just allow enough separation to do the trick.

A similar tactic can be used to receive a CW signal with interference by tuning it in SSB mode and selecting the sideband (upper or lower) which is furthest from the interference.  This is impractical for CW transceiving, unless you assign the received SSB frequency to one VFO and use the other VFO for CW transmit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: