Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POSSIBLE TO LEARN 5 WPM IN A MONTH  (Read 1600 times)
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2002, 02:24:24 PM »

HI THERE,
         Have a chance off sitting my 5 wpm cw test in just over a months time, is it possible to learn the code up to the test standard at 5wpm in this time ? have absoloutely no knowledge off the code so far. have purchased the "code quick 2000 cd rom" to help me, so is it feasible and whats first? learn alphabet,receive then send Huh?    
any help / tips would be very much appreciatted.

thank you, JOHN
                                             GM1ZVJ
                                            SCOTLAND

KD6ELB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2002, 05:07:31 PM »

Yes it is possible. I passed my test 10 days after buying the Gordon West 0-5wpm tapes. I went through them in about a week doing about 3 sessions per day. I followed all his instructions and didn't skip any parts. It's all about familiarity through repetition.

After the tapes I ran practice QSOs from the following site:

http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/exam.html

I set the farnsworth rate to 18wpm and the speed to 7wpm so that the 15/5wpm test would seem easier. I was able to get about 90%+ copy. Easily enough to answer the questions.

There may be equally good ways of learning code out there - this is the only one I tried. However, I did like the structure of having lessons on tape - I'm not sure I would have done so well with a computer based self-paced approach. I would have probably gone too fast and gotten stuck at some point.

Good luck

Richard
KD6ELB
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 05:17:57 PM »

Another Program you might want to try out it Morse Acadmy or Super Mores.  I will post the URL Later!

Steve,KD5OWO

KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2002, 05:32:21 PM »

Here are the links!

http://www.murrah.com/sm/
Super Morse

http://www.speroni.com/AH0A.html
Morse Acadamy

I hope these programs help.

Steve,KD5OWO
KB1HJW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2002, 04:40:36 PM »

I got to 7wpm in three weeks with CodeQuick. Just follow the directions, practice no less than 1 hour per day nad no more than 2 hours per day (1 hour at a time). Don't rush it, it's a great system as it is designed.
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2002, 07:40:57 PM »

Is Codequick free?

Steve,KD5OWO
KB1HJW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2002, 10:39:24 AM »

CodeQuick is not free. However, I tried a handful of the freewares, and couldn't get off a dime. I thought I was one of those people who would never learn code. As a last resort, I spent the cash, and couldn't believe how fast I learned.
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2002, 10:37:59 PM »

I might look into it;but for now what I am using is doing me good.  

Steve,KD5OWO
N8TEV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2002, 12:32:31 AM »

it is possible, I learned my 5 wpm in just 7 days. I  practiced about 3 0r 4 times a day for a half our at a time. I learned off of the Gorden west 5 wpm tapes. When it came time for the testing, I passed on my first time. I will admit I am not a cw fan, but it sure was fun
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2002, 06:53:46 PM »

I bought some Cds which I like.  Then again I perfer the computer program Mores Acadamy.

Steve,KD5OWO
KG4MUW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2002, 09:08:54 AM »

I think it possible, but it depends on the person.  Everyone learns it at different levels.  I had learned it many years ago in the Boy Scouts, forgot most.  And I was instructed incorrectly, dot and dashes from books.  

I know now that the worst thing you can do is learn it visually in dot and dashes.  I began with the ARRL tapes, and got through the letters and a few prosigns, and decided that was not the best method for myself.  But what helped the most was using a software application, and the W1AW practice sessions.  I will recommend no particular application, as I tried several and all were adequate for the purpose.  There is one thing about software apps that I belive is hinderance, the fact some show you dots and dashes on the screen.  I found that without noticing I had learned to copy up to 15WPM as long as I could see the screen.  Bad news, I could barely hold 5WPM when I covered up the portion of the screen with that displayed the dots and dashes.  So, I began practicing with the screen covered, and eventually regained my copy speed and accuracy with just the ear.  Then it all came together.  

Another couple of practice hints.  Think about he code as you go from place to place.  My Elmers advised me to sound out the code of road signs as I passed.  Sounds crazy, but it helps.  I also broke the normal rule of learning code, and began to practice sending just after I mostly knew the letters and numbers.  I started with a straight key, and began to realize my timing was not correct.  My Elmers told me to get a paddle and a keyer and spend 1/2 hour a day with the paddle.  I sent every letter and word of everything in the shack, and whatever written material was available.  These two additional practice tools most definitely helped me.  I still practice with my paddle before I work CW, just to warm up.

It took me about 6 weeks, yet my brother is still working on it after over a year (not to discourage you).  Don't let frustration cause you to miss a day of practice.  I do believe had I started with a software application covering up the dots/dashes, and worked each day with W1AW at mixed speeds, I could have done it in a month.  I spent about 1 to 1.5 hours a day divided into morning and evening sessions.

I still practice copying the W1AW practice sessions, most every day.  Avoid just picking any operator on the air to learn this CW, as some have personal styles or have timing that is difficult to copy for a beginner, or it is in a different language.  You can work on improving your ability to copy different ops with different styles and timing after you pass your test.

I hope you find some of part of this long letter of use.  Good luck.  You will never regret learning CW!

Ken
RADIOWEENIE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2002, 09:58:50 PM »

First, let me make it perfectly clear that i am not a CW guru by any stretch of anyone's imagination. But that is NOT the point!! My code speed 19 years after becoming a ham is now about 17 wpm. I am not at all good at it nor do i particularly like it. But with that being the case here is how i learned CW whatever that might be worth to you:

1.I opened a dictionary to "Morse Code".
2.I xeroxed the code and had it laminated at Kinko's.
3.I studied and memorized the Morse Code all day.
4.The following day i was able to copy Morse code
   at 4 wpm.
5.On the 3rd day i was able to copy the Morse at 5
   wpm.

And so i continued to practice thruout the rest of the month to a speed of about 8 wpm. That gave enough cushion to pass the 5 wpm Technician code test in effect at that time. If i can do it, you can do it. THAT is the point!! Morse code is not that hard if you take it seriously-- even if you do not even like it!!
With best wishes and good luck learning CW,
--73 de Radioweenie--
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2002, 11:44:02 AM »

Get Code Quick. www.cq2k.com.
It's got a money back guarantee on it.
The guy says few people ever take him up on that, because it works so well.
KE6TNN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2002, 01:50:02 PM »

I passed the 5 wpm test after about 5 weeks of practicing about an hour a day.  I used the NuMorse shareware program and the ARRL practice tapes.  The tapes were only used on the commute to and from my workplace.

It is true that if you use a computer program, not to look at the dots and dashes displayed on the screen.  I thought I was doing real good until I stopped typing my responses (and looking at the screen) and started to actually write the charachters down.  Big difference.

At any rate, it was no more difficult than learning how to type.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: