Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning code  (Read 1554 times)
N9PAR

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2002, 07:01:53 PM »

I was wondering I'm learning cw.How much a night should I work on the code?I heard 30 mins a night?Just curious if anyone has any helpfull hints??
                     N9PAR
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2002, 05:33:45 PM »

Hi.

30 minutes a night is about right. Any more than that and you run the risk of getting burned out or frustrated. Fight the urge to spend 2-3 hours on it. One little tip that I was told by one of the old timers around here is to study the code for 20-30 minutes before you go to bed.

20-30 minutes a night for a month, or less and you've got it learned.

Good luck!

NØRKX
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2002, 06:43:30 PM »

I'd recommend...

1.  Use any method that works for you, including CodeQuick, to memorize the letters, numbers and punctuation, and get your General ticket;

2.  Then, get on HF-CW and actually _use_ it, for a while, as much as you feel comfortable with.  That's learning it.  Memorizing the characters to pass a 5 wpm test isn't learning it.

Learning how to stand up on skis without falling over isn't learning how to ski; learning how to ride a bike, or a skateboard at the same speed as walking isn't learning how to ride.  Learning the notes of the musical scale and playing "chopsticks" isn't learning piano.  Learning requires experience and time.  The "not falling down and hurting yourself" is the first step.  The "getting good at it, enjoying it, and being the envy of your friends, who wish they were as good as you" is the result of many steps.

And using CW to actually make contacts, including contacts that you couldn't possibly make on any "voice" mode, is the fun part.  The more you use it (or ski, or ride a bike, or play piano) the better you get.  It's worth the trip.

All the best in your CW endeavors!  Once you've really _learned_ the code, have the ticket, and use it, I think you'll find the 30 minutes flies by like it was seconds...

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2002, 05:48:05 PM »

At first, the concentration will tire you quickly, but hang in there. It is really important to work on your CW every day if you expect to get proficient at it. You can't expect to learn a new language if you don't use it, and use it often. The whole key is building a CW vocabulary, first of letters, numbers, and prosigns, then of words, phrases, and sentences. Be satisfied with small gains at first, but remember it is one brick at a time, and soon you will really be able to tell you are improving. Keep after it!
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2002, 10:53:33 AM »

[I expect I am walking on thin ice here]...A lot of how well or fast you 'learn' Morse depends upon your age.  Morse is just like a foreign language; learn it young and you learn it well and fast. Learn it in late adult-hood, and it is 'probable' that your hardest efforts will yield only mediocre results.  None the less, whatever your success, it will occur with USAGE.  I remember my Spanish teacher saying "Don't talk about Spanish...TALK Spanish".   When you go on air, GO ON AIR IN THE CW MODE. Unless you have some reason for going on Phone...a net, a sked with old pal...GO ON CW.

Best of luck, and hope to qso you on the Music Mode...

"dm"

N 7 D M
F16954

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2002, 10:07:05 PM »

Hi-

I just passed my morse code test yesterday. There is no real secret, jus tregular practice. FYI, I have put up on the web a simple step-by-step explanation on how I passed my 5WPM morse code exam yesterday.

Go to: http://timkyle.online.fr/morse/index.html

HTH,

Tim
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2002, 10:16:15 AM »

Wonderful....can we assume you will give us your call and some frequency where we can QSO  you ??

dm
F16954

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2002, 10:32:48 AM »

Well ... it's been 10 days now and still nothing ... ahhhh!

Tim
KC0???
F16954

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2002, 12:27:07 PM »

actually ... I just got my license today! I won't be QRV as I don't have a transceiver yet. In a few months though!

73 de Tim KC0MSF
N2XE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2002, 02:41:29 PM »

On learning young...

I learned CW at age 31.  Passed the Novice 5 WPM after two weeks.  I now routinely operate 25-30 WPM and can push it to 35 if I have to.  

And I do push it.  My goal is to get up to 60WPM so I can fly with the "keyboarders".  I'll get there by year end.

Age is no barrier, desire is.
K0RKS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2002, 01:40:08 PM »

I sat down for 30 mins. a couple of times a day. I had to use a ARRL tape back then. Later when you get the feel for the characters (The Rhythm), I would advise taping the ARRL Code practice. That will be a good way to listen in the car. Don't forget unless the testing has changed The Exam will be in a room with a boom box or something close. I made sure I listened through a Boom Box once in a while.
Keep at it!!! You will get it takes a couple of weeks.I am elmering two right now I watched them get to Tech. Now we will get them to General. That's my goal. If you have a Elmer or two that won't hurt either.
When I learned to play the guitar I had to learn the notes (Characters)are the same. Just relax and don't tense up, keep loose, Copy the characters as you can. When you miss one or two make a line and keep going. The goal is to be one character ahead, In other words be waiting on the next character. Takes time be patient don't let it discourage you. If you get to a point where you feel like crap because you haven't mastered the code as fast as you would have liked. Then run over to a general class or higher QTH, get on 20meters in the evening. Work a few ZL's and get your battery's recharged worked for me!!!
W6IBD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2002, 07:32:38 PM »

You new hams today don't know squat!!!  I been a ham for 39+ years and hopefully will be one another 39+ years!!!  I wud spend 2 hours practicing CW before school and another 2 hours after school, and then I would catch up on the weekend!!!  You new hams don't care anything about working for a license, you just want it handed to you!!!  The extralites are the worst!!!  You can get a better ticket than that from a cracker jack box!!!  Oh well, if it wern't for the dummying down of all new ham tickets I guess there wouldn't be any new hams!!!  I think that might be better!!!
PENDING6702

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2002, 02:22:27 AM »

Speaking of learning code, I'm looking for two things. Does any know if someone has produced Subliminal Code Tapes. I've seen the hypnosis tapes and they ain't what I looking for. I'm also looking to contact Prof. Baer, who had training materials. He was from Florida.

There's a big difference between hypnosis tapes and subliminal tapes. Subliminal Tapes usually had the contents buried under sounds of an ocean beach with an occastional sea gull. You can sleep with these tapes and not have listen to someone talk. I think Prof. Baer had such tapes.
My problem is that I have Narcolepsy and I can't listen to hypnosis tapes without falling dead asleep, which puts me well passed alpha sleep into REM sleep. Narcoleptics fall directly into REM sleep. And that is one of the problems. Just passed my Tech and I'm waiting for my Callsign.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: