Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 Honda Fit  (Read 1588 times)
KF6DBZ

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »

Hello,
Has anybody installed a radio like the 706MIIG in a Honda Fit? any other ham radio in a Fit?
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:16:58 AM »

The Fit is a traditional gas-engined car, right?   I've got a 706 installed in a 2006 Scion xB, which is slightly larger than your Fit, I think.   The front panel is on the dash below the OEM radio, the body is under the passenger's seat, and the HF antenna mount (the one I use currently, though there are a few others here and there on the outside of the car) is at bumper level.  There's a "towing eye" that screws into the frame, on the xB, and I've got the antenna mount bolted to the towing eye.   Photos if you want them.

There are also a BUNCH of good photos of mobile HF installations on the K0BG website, if you're looking for ideas!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 06:36:18 AM »

Power won't be an issue, as the alternator is rated at 105 amps. There is a hole in the firewall, but is it very difficult to use on a Fit because of the center console. There also an unused teat on the main power pass though, but it's hard to get as as well.

As a side light.... I bought one about a month after they were introduced for my step daughter. Less than a year later, she was sandwiched between two SUVs, in a rear ender. The car was totaled, and other than a stiff neck, she walked away. I should have taken a photo of it, but I didn't. Although the front and back really looked bad, the passenger cabin was intact. The crash proved to me why the Fit has a 5 star crash rating.

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 06:58:27 AM »

My wife was hit head-on about a half-dozen years ago; her Honda Accord was totaled.  Engine dropped out on the ground as designed, instead of being pushed into the passenger compartment.  The front end and part of one side was a mass of tangled shards.  My wife had a few bruises from the seatbelt and airbag, no other injuries at all.  Amazing.

When we went shopping for a replacement for her Accord, the ONLY car we looked at was another Accord, because of the way it handled the crash.  (The car *I* drive may or may not be a deathtrap, of course--I have no idea.  But my *wife* is going to be in a safe car!)   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: