Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS560 internal tuner question  (Read 411 times)
VE4BLB

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »

I have an LDG talking SWR/power meter. I sometimes get lower SWR and higher output power when the internal tuner is turned off. I am feeding a Cushcraft R8 with RG213 coax (IIRC). Shall I forgwt the internal tuner and get an external one?

73 de me BLB
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »

ALL tuners loose a little power. There is no escaping it so it may show slightly less output power with tuner in line when a well matched load is present. When there is a load not as well matched it will be higher with tuner in line because finals will throttle back when SWR is higher and internal tuner will match radio to load but a external SWR meter will still show a mismatch and no cause for concern. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:11:14 PM »

An external SWR/PWR meter cannot read out what the PA of the rig is seeing when an internal tuner is invoked, because the internal tuner is ahead of the meter.  Use of external metering with internal tuner would not read anything of value about the match as it would be reading the already known mismatch of the antenna. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: