Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Nets  (Read 19792 times)
K2CMH

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:56:30 AM »

I am trying to compile a list of active HF nets.  If you are a member of or know of any HF nets,  please post a message in this thread with the net name, frequency, subject matter, start time, and end time.  Regarding the time, please indicate which time zone you are referencing for your start/end times.
Also, if you have any links to websites that contain *up to date* HF net listings, those would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Carlton
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »

Not to be negative but.......

If you could possibly get every single net to post with their time, and days active it should be quite overwhelming. I'm just die'ing to see how NETS out number the amount of contests.

More than likely if the correct amount of NETS actually post it would surprise me how one NET or the other will over lap in frequency or be within 1-2 KHz. Leaving very little room for casual CQ QSO.

I think asking to compile an updated NET listing is a fine idea ,but highly unlikely. There are new NETS that are created maybe every six months and if not there are quite of many left out as such the current listing you can find on the world wide web.

Please, Please NETS coordinators please pass the word around to list your NETS per poster's request. We would like to know!

73!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:08:53 AM by N2RRA » Logged
K6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:21:53 PM »

More than likely if the correct amount of NETS actually post it would surprise me how one NET or the other will over lap in frequency or be within 1-2 KHz. Leaving very little room for casual CQ QSO.

Isn't a net technically defined as a conversation with more than two hams anyway? Maybe if the focus is narrowed to larger nets, the list would be more helpful. Smiley
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »

That's the thing! A NET is a NET! There's no distinguishing any of them due to quantity of participants. The problem is that there are too many of them that don't really have an actual conversation that all can participate in.

That's not my point anyway!

I would like to know myself is how many, length of time, days of week and frequencies, but I don't think he's gonna get his answer. To propose to narrow the list to just the larger NETs is absurd. What's the use?

An individual can find this out by SWL'ing or asking around and logging it as he/she go along, but may prove difficult due to propagation.

KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:50:17 AM »

Here is a good one for the west coast and adjacent states.  Not a role call net, but more of a roundtable of a technical nature.  Cheers, Scott. 
If you can hear us, say hi.

http://www.californiaamateurradioservice.com/
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 12:50:07 PM »

>Maybe if the focus is narrowed to larger nets, the list would be more helpful.

I should have defined 'net' a little better for my purposes.  I'm looking for nets that are regularly scheduled, welcome newcomers, and are more than just two or three buddies  ragchewing at the same time every day. 

>An individual can find this out by SWL'ing or asking around and logging it as he/she go along, but may prove difficult due to propagation.

This is what I have been doing, and you are correct, it is a very tedious and inconsistent way to do it.  Many times the nets do not id themselves for quite a while, so while I may stumble onto a net, I don't know which one it is unless the NCO happens to mention the name of the net.

>I would like to know myself is how many, length of time, days of week and frequencies.

This is basically what I am looking for.  I'm not trying to start another 'net list' or anything that fancy, just something that I can have as a reference and is relatively current, which is why I asked for people to post nets that they personally know about.

Thanks,
Carlton
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »

>Maybe if the focus is narrowed to larger nets, the list would be more helpful.

This is what I have been doing, and you are correct, it is a very tedious and inconsistent way to do it.  Many times the nets do not id themselves for quite a while, so while I may stumble onto a net, I don't know which one it is unless the NCO happens to mention the name of the net.

Another reason why these NETS are a bit out of hand. They have novice operators handling NETS and I mean novice and not the class of license.

Technically they should I.D. every 10 minutes and this applies as well to any casual QSO. if a small group of guys don't....well that's another story but if a NET is gonna portray the importantance of it in the name of "emergency operations in case...." well then act with some common sense and professionalism. In your case you wouldn't have had to waste your time listening if such simple and effective protocols that are written and in place were followed. Sorry about that!

Yes! This is just a hobby to some ,but at least get some one who's not hard of hearing and knows how to handle traffic. Just say'ing!

Has far as simply looking for a NET listing I'm with you on this topic. I wanna know myself and this applies to all NETS if they call it a NET. A NET is a NET no matter how many attend.

GL and 73! Dit Dit!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:29:35 PM by N2RRA » Logged
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »

Carlton,

Our net is called The Treasure Coasters Net.  We meet daily 7/365 conditions permitting, we meet from 0800-0900 EDT/EST on 7.153MHz. sorry Advance & Extra class only.  This net originally was for snowbirds to be able to talk with their friends up north while here in Fl. then when they went back north they were able to talk with their friends here.  Over the years the net has progressed, and changed with the times.  We have a different net control each day of the week, and average 15-20 check ins with our highest number of 26 reached this past spring.  We do ID, when net calls he IDs himself and who he is calling, then the person called IDs him/herself.  We start oy with where we are in the world, as we have had folks check in from other countries, one of our regulars is a policeman on Grand Cayman Island.  We usually start by giving our local weather conditions.  No subject is taboo, we can gear it towards the technical, or just whatever might come up in the course of conversation. 

We do not have our web site up yet, it is still a work in progress, but hope to have it up by this November as we will celebrate our 50th anniversary of the net.  The nets official anniversary is Nov. 11 for those who remember it was the old Armistice Day.  We do plan on having a celebration that entire week, also with some type of mention the entire month, there was also talk..not sure yet, but a special event may also be in the works.  Again, the net Treasure Coasters Net 7.153MHz daily from 0800-0900 EDT/EST.  Our net control stations have all been licensed 30+ years with the exceptions of myself at 16 years and another gentleman who is at about the 5 year level, we do welcome any and all who have the proper license to join us, we have had folks drop in for a visit, and then for whatever reason, work, travel,etc. may not stop back for quite some time, others, pull up a chair and make themselves at home.  I have had the pleasure of meeting several of the members from around the country, Michigan, and Tn. are 2 I can think of quickly.  We have a great bunch from wide and varied walks of life, its really a blast to be on the net in the mornings.

73 de Mark
W3LZK
Thursday net control
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »

I am familiar with three nets on the East Coast. The first is the North Carolina Single Sideband Net, frequency is 3938, start time is 7:30 local time (east coast) nightly 365.  The second net is a traders net, also on 3938, it occurs on Wednesday and Saturdays at 8:00 pm local time.  The third net is the 3898 technical net, its a seasonal net that runs once a week on Thursdays during the fall-winter-spring seasons, also on 3938, 8:00 pm local time.

These are all organized directed nets, its not hard to distinguish that a net is in progress if someone tunes across the frequency during net time.

I wish you good luck acquiring the information.  You have quite a large task ahead of you.

73 Jim.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »

Thanks for the information Mark (W3LZK) and Jim (AB4D).

Mark,

Just a quick question regarding the Treasure Coasters net.  I am curious why they chose a frequency that is for Extra/Advanced licensees only.  Now please don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical, I'm just curious.  I'm relatively new to the hobby so I'm trying to learn as much as I can by asking these types of questions.

Carlton
N5SWE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »

The Country Cousin nets are all great nets and wonderful hams. You can find the Southern Country Cousins on: http://www.qsl.net/ww4scc/  3.970 Mhz  9:30 PM Eastern time
    MidWest Country Cousins (3.9725 MHz at 9:30 Central time on http://www.hamdata.com/mwcc.html
N5SWE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »

To continue: Sorry must have hit a wrong key.
The NorthWestern Country Cousin net is on 3.968 7:00 Pm Pacific, NW7CC good on QRZ
Western Country Cousins are 3.970 Mhz at 9:00 PM Pacific www.wccnet.us club call W6CCN good on QRZ
No roll calling here, just friendly NCOs looking to find out how your day was and how YOU are doing.
These are Social nets and welcome all check in's. Drop on by and say Howdy!
Roy
N5SWE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 10:10:57 AM »

Oh and one more thing. The Eastern Country Cousin nets use Ham Data.com.  Ham Data.com has a listing of most nets. They do not list the NWCC or WCC nets.
Roy
N5SWE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »

ARRL site has a great listing of Clubs/nets.
Another good one is N1YZ listing of HF nets: http://www.n1yz.com/HFNET_LIST.HTM 
Roy
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 11:08:01 PM »

ARRL site has a great listing of Clubs/nets.

Here:

http://www.arrl.org/arrl-net-directory

. .                    Charles
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: