Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learnig Code  (Read 899 times)
N8TNJ

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2002, 08:26:54 PM »

Everytime I try to learn code (using code quick) I seem to good for a couple of days, then BOOM it seems like I cannot copy a single letter. I just go brain dead and it bothers the @#$%^& out of me. So I get mad and swear NEVER to try again. Well I gonna try again, so I'm hoping somebody has some tips that will help me over this hump (feels more like a mountain to me). One good this my wife promised me a Kenwood TS-2000 if I see this thing through!! Thanks Chet
N2XE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2002, 02:20:11 PM »

Hi Chet,

Chill out dude!  Everybody goes through that.  The problem is, you are tensing up there's too much brain friction.  You need a brain lubricant.  Grab a beer, put down the pencil, relax and see how many words you can "head copy".  Don't worry about the stuff you miss, concentrate on the stuff you recognise.

Lean back, close your eyes, relax.  In my experience, your brain can get it all if you just let it.  When you start thinking about it, bad s#!t happens.  This isn't Western Union, you aren't delivering a telegram, you aren't getting paid, relax.

The hardest thing is for people is to put the freeking pencil down and listen.  If you have an HF rig, tune in on a QSO and listen!  Doesn't matter if it's 5 WPM or 15 WPM, see what you can recognise and WANT to understand what they're saying to each other.

After you chill, go back to the computer or whatever, pick the pencil back up and practice for the exam.  

You really shouldn't be doing less than 20 or more than 45 minutes a day but do it every day.  EVEN IF you're not copying damn thing.

Another good trick is to play the code 50% faster than you can copy.  Don't worry about copying everything, concentrate on the stuff you can hear.  After ten minutes, take a break then practice at your normal speed; it'll seem like it's crawling.  Try it, it works.

I guess the bottom line is:  don't worry about what you miss, get a thrill from what you understand.  If you can do that, you'll be at 15 WPM or better within two weeks.

Good luck and I know you will master it in no time!

N2XE, John
KG6AZK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 02:22:16 PM »

This is comming from a tech who is studying right now:

Just remember this, you will only have to do this ONCE IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE!!!

So when you get frustered just remember... after you finish, you will never take a morse code test again!
KG6GAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2002, 04:14:56 PM »

What you're going through, we all go through.  Just relax, put it down, walk away, and come back later, but try to dedicate at least two twenty minute sessions daily regardless of the results.  I used MFJ's 418 code tutor using the Koch method to finally learn the code.  This was after unsuccessfully trying multiple software programs, etc.  The Koch method is detailed in a book MFJ sells titled "Morse Code: Breaking the Barrier".

As far as never having to pass another test, I disagree.  I just upgraded a month ago, and I test myself every chance I get.  I listen to QSO's, answer a CQ that is slow enough for me to try, and have frequent cw QSO's with nearby friends who are gracious enough to slow down to my speed.  I probably spend more time using the code than I do using phone, and I'm having a blast with it.  Once you pass your element one, test yourself daily!  You just might have some fun.

Regards,
Jim
KG6GAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2002, 04:15:59 PM »

What you're going through, we all go through.  Just relax, put it down, walk away, and come back later, but try to dedicate at least two twenty minute sessions daily regardless of the results.  I used MFJ's 418 code tutor using the Koch method to finally learn the code.  This was after unsuccessfully trying multiple software programs, etc.  The Koch method is detailed in a book MFJ sells titled "Morse Code: Breaking the Barrier".

As far as never having to pass another test, I disagree.  I just upgraded a month ago, and I test myself every chance I get.  I listen to QSO's, answer a CQ that is slow enough for me to try, and have frequent cw QSO's with nearby friends who are gracious enough to slow down to my speed.  I probably spend more time using the code than I do using phone, and I'm having a blast with it.  Once you pass your element one, test yourself daily!  You just might have some fun.

Regards,
Jim
KB1HYR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2002, 12:55:54 PM »

Hi!

I passed my 5wpm test back in late February.  

First, I tried the ARRL 2 tape set.  It moved too quickly for me; and rewinding and replaying the tape again defeated the purpose because I was memorizing the answers.

Then, I picked up the 6 tape 5wpm set from Gordon West.  (I think it is published by the W5YI group).  It built new letters more slowly, and worked well for me.

Then, having gone through the tapes, I rigged up a code practice oscillator.  I would take one paragraph from a book, and send it via code.  On the way back and forth to work (since I'm alone in the car and nobody would think I was insane), I would take little words that I saw on signs beside the road, and do morse code out loud like humming.

In short, I studied for two weeks this way, and passed the exam the first time.  Now, if only I could put up an antenna!
KF6VCI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2002, 10:36:26 PM »

A heretic way just to pass the exam would be to learn the stuff "visually" and then translate. But as you wlt enjoy the art and have QSOs, take it easy and start again with letters etc. ** Personally, I'm freshest early in the morning. Try to find the best time... GL!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: