Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning Cw  (Read 1483 times)
KG4OXP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2002, 10:03:56 PM »

I just passed my code test lest wednesday. I started practicing 1 month before the test..A VE started me on the right path..here is what I did..

1. purchased NUMorse pro
2. copied letters...i.e. listen to the letter "A" over and over again, maybe 30 times, and wrote it down...then to B...C and so on. Went back through the alphabet many times...always in the habit of hearing and saying the letter or writing it down.
3. I listened to the letters sent at 15 words per minute, so I heard the "sound" versus individual dits & dahs..4. Then started listening to letters, in small groups, sent randomly...had the letters sent at 15 WPM, but spaced down to 7WPM...again, hear the sounds, not the component dits & dahs.
5. Then all letters/numbers/prosigns randomly. same speed as in point #4. If I messed up I'd go back and listen to letters again.
6. Then listened to "test" QSO's at 5, then 7 WPM and copied. I started taking these tests 1 week before the test...2 in the am and 2 at night. Got to the point where I would not get 100% copy for all 5 minutes, but I could easily do 1 minute of solid copy.
I can tell you that even after the first 2 weeks I felt I was making no progress...but then all of a sudden you start just knowing/associating a sound with a letter/number.

One last thing that helped me practice was seeing things in writing and sounding out the code in my head. I did this occasionally, through the day, to spread out the practice..

That's it - hope this helps.

Pete
KG4OXP/AG
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: