Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: frequency dial kenwood ts-430s  (Read 5194 times)
KJ6FXA

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:28:41 PM »

My brother gave me a Kenwood ts 430s transciever...he said it was working perfectly for him when he had it. After getting it set up it seems the frequency dial (the big knob in the middle) will not change the frequency. I have a mc-42s microphone attached to the tranciever...I am able to adjust the frequency with the up and down buttons on the mike. Can anyone shed any light on why the dial does not work? I went to kenwood's website and asked their support team but they wanted $40 to answer a question. Cannot afford that right now. BTW, my name is james murphy, kj6fxa and I have been a ham for just over a year. This radio is my first foray into hf (even though I can only use the 10 mtr part) I can still listen. Thanks for any help anyone can possibly give. Any questions please email me at    KJ6FXA@live.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »

Check and see if freq lock button is on. It locks out encoder knob.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KJ6FXA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »

i believe i did that. Is that the button that say "LOCK"? If so I did check that. Thanks
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »

i believe i did that. Is that the button that say "LOCK"? If so I did check that. Thanks

"Lock" button is it. Does it have any effect on problem?

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »

I had the same problem with one of my TS-430's and it turned out to be trouble with the encoder assembly.  Since the TS-430 features electronic tuning, no variable capacitors, dial cords, gears, etc., the tuning dial turns a slotted disk between a pair of light sources and photo-transistors.  This assembly not only detects how far the knob is turned but in which direction.  The pulse string generated by the encoder is fed to the frequency determining elements of the Local Oscillator to tune the rig. 

In most cases, repair of the encoder is best handled by a pro.  I sent mine to the Kenwood Authorized Service center in Virginia Beach, Virginia.  Google "Kenwood Factory Service" to find the one nearest you.  Parts may be a problem with a rig that old, but I think all mine required was cleaning and alignment (I used to smoke).

Your experience may differ but that's what mine required.

Allan - N4NLQ
KJ6FXA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »

Thanks Allan...I will chck into having Kenwood doing the encoder replacement/repair/cleaning/etc. I will also keep in mind the other things you mentioned. Also got your off post email as well. Again thanks
Jim
AD6UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »

Jim,

Your radio is fixed!

When I disassembled the the optical encoder, I found a loose is a semi-crescent shaped piece of metal that act as slits for the receiving optical diodes (or transistors). When your brother shipped it must have came loose and needed to be reattached.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj613/ad6uk/TS-430SEncoder1.jpg
http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj613/ad6uk/TS-430SEncoder2.jpg

Nick
73's de AD6UK

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »

Nice work Nick....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: