Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dan's Small Parts web site issue fix  (Read 2178 times)
KI4GTD

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »

Hope this doesn't violate any terms of service, etc...

I recently visited Dan's Small Parts web site and saw that they have issues with browsers other than Internet Explorer. If anyone knows how to contact the owner via email, I'd be happy to help get the site fixed so it will work on Firefox (and Linux) as well as Internet Explorer. No money involved, just like to help out as they have some pretty interesting items.
PBPP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 01:44:37 AM »

Yep... he could really use some help with html.

..... I'm just saying.
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:42:32 AM »

The linear layout makes me want to saw my own head off. Wow.  That page is a mile long!

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:49:17 AM »

Right there on his first page, he says this:

Dan's has no intention of changing things to please the Fire Fox Brouser.

Sounds like ol' Dan has already answered your query, no? 

Is that perhaps a British spelling for browser?  If it is, the what colour is the brouser?  heh.

Honestly, given the instructions to make your own order forms, order BY MAIL ONLY, etc. etc. leads me to believe that ol' Dan is not wanting to be all that webcentric...

But his stuff looks nice and the prices certainly invite orders enough as-is, one would think. 

KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:01:31 AM »

As a dork, my problem with that is that browsers like Firefox, Opera, Chrome...all stick to the proper W3C standards for web development.

IE, aka Microsoft, does NOT.  Since they have the most market share (for now)...people are most interested in getting their page to be "IE friendly" versus making it work good on the browsers that actually adhere to industry standards.

This is no slam on Dan, its just too bad that he's drawn the line in the sand like that. Personally I refuse to use IE for anything, so if I encounter a site that is broken in anything other than IE...I find a different site.  Thats just me though.  My biggest gripe w/ IE is that it has SO many security flaws compared to the others. 

KI4GTD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »

I really didn't want to impose on him and I do respect the fact that he doesn't want to re-write the site to satisfy a few customers. The problem is primarily that he has some <h1> and <h2> tags that are opened and never closed. IE simply throws out the last set when it encounters the next set, but Firefox and Opera will attempt to stack them until you have fonts a hundred times the desired size. Based on some of the products I viewed on the site and needs for my own projects, I'm willing to help him get the issues sorted but didn't want to be in his face about it because a lot of people simply don't have the time and/or resources to change a site that has worked for years. The offer will stand, though...

73 Brian KI4GTD
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:24:41 AM »

I noticed a comment in the eHam reviews section that seems to indicate there's a Dan's "outlet" or whatever on eBay, where it's easier to shop and where they take PayPal.  I didn't verify this, but it might be worth somebody checking it out.

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »

This is not uncommon.
Many web sites won't render properly in anything but IE.
So, like it or not, it's wise to have it on your machine.
And if you do, in Firefox, all you have to do to deal with sites that "require" IE is click the tool-bar icon for "Display This Page in IE".
KI4GTD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »

I actually run Linux and while there are some options for IE with Wine, etc., I generally just muddle through web sites that don't render right if I feel like they have something to offer. For Dan's, he's got some nice items and seems to be a small operation; they might not have the resources to go through and try to suit every person out there. I'm sure there are users that get frustrated and miss out on some items that they might otherwise have found there. I was hoping to help them get the site working as it's not too difficult a fix.

I'll have to check the Dan's that is on eBay. Might be an option if it's the same one and most of the items are available there as well.
W9MB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 07:54:22 AM »

Dan's Small Parts and BIG fonts!

Grin
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 10:56:02 AM »

When I was building a circuit from a QST ad, I was tempted to buy from Dan.  His prices were so-so, but he had everything I needed.  But I had to read so many pages on that website to find his policies.  You have to mail a check, if you make any kind of mistake, he returns it without telling you what error you made, his shipping costs were hard to interpret.  There's no email address or phone number on the website for contact, either.

I finally decided that if he's going to be this customer-unfriendly, I didn't need to do business with him.  The website font size thing came up, and it was no surprise that he voraciously reads the QRP mailing list websites, because he "responded" to the initial complaint in less than an hour by posting his claim that he was not about to fix the website.

Earlier this year, I helped a friend deal with the estate of a ham from a local club who'd passed away.  I've been selling trinkets (hand-painted uselessness, a friend calls it) on ebay for almost a decade and know the system pretty well. So I was helping post the ads, package parts.  It was mostly surplus solid-state parts; transistors, resistors, LEDs, etc.  There was one partiularly large pack of 1W RF devices...a part number that Dan sold and seemed to imply they were very popular.  We figured on asking Dan if he wanted them, but then we discovered no email, no phone number - speed is pretty essential when you're trying to unload an estate.  So we put them on ebay.

They were all bought by "twisttwinkel" which we found out was Dan.  And the price was bid up much more than we were going to offer to him.

So...Dan's running the business his way.  Customer service is not front and center.  But that's OK.  He does have a huge assortment, and he is a one-man business, and that's enough for most people to overlook the shabby website and mediocre customer service.  With the rise in the number of ebay sellers who don't speak English, Dan does not look all that bad.

- k
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: