Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LM386 amplifier assist  (Read 1341 times)
W6AOA

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »

Can anyone assist me with the LM386 circuit.  All examples I see for this circuit only address an output of 8 ohms for a small speaker. I would like to use this ckt to addapt an electrovoice 638 mic to about 1300 Ohms my Icom 730 requires as a mic input.. wondering if a xfmr would do it. If so  what would it be.

W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 06:33:39 PM »

You could use a Radio Shack 273-1380, a 1000-ohm CT to 8-ohm secondary audio transformer, but unless you have a compelling urge to use the LM386, a simpler single-transistor circuit might prove better performance. Remember, the LM386 will draw a lot of current, even when you're not talking, and if your mic-to-rig interface is battery powered, if might go dead midway into a QSO. Also, LM386s come in different flavors, and the LM386N, the most common of the group, is the one most prone to give poor performance. One characteristic of '386Ns is to oscillate or "motorboat" when the battery voltage gets low. However, they are common and cheap, and generally do a pretty good job in most applications. GL
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »

Can anyone assist me with the LM386 circuit.  All examples I see for this circuit only address an output of 8 ohms for a small speaker. I would like to use this ckt to addapt an electrovoice 638 mic to about 1300 Ohms my Icom 730 requires as a mic input.. wondering if a xfmr would do it. If so  what would it be.

Not a problem, this is audio, not RF.  Just tack a 1K resistor across the output of the '386 and then attach to the radio. 

In audio applications, we can always apply a lower impedance into a higher impedance.  It won't work like that the other way around, though as trying to drive a low impedance input with a high impedance output will load down the signal. 

The opamp is high impedance at input, but low impedance output. 

No transformer needed at all here. 

W6AOA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »

Thanks to all..  I do have the 386N, But its gonna be socketed and easy to swap out... I can have the mic open the 9v ckt when not talking..  TNX  Ed W6AOA Pensacola, FL
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:13:36 AM »

Why not use a transistor emitter follower?  Or a Darlington, also hiZ in, Med/Lo Z out.  Fewer parts, simpler and less room.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:38:53 AM by WB6DGN » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: