Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anchor bolt spacing  (Read 2772 times)
VP9HW

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »

I'm putting a base down for an antenna. Does anyone know the spacing of the anchor bolts for a US tower MA 40 crank up tower?
Thanks,
Steve (vp9hw)
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:39:40 PM »

The manufacturer should have specifications on their web site.  Since you are dealing with something very difficult to change if wrong - I would double check that whatever is specificied is current and correct.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:40:15 AM »

I understand you may want to get the concrete pad down before the tower arrives, but I wouldn't do that.  Have the tower base IN HAND before you put the pad down--that way there can be no mistakes about the measurement.

At the very least have a factory supplied template of the tower base footprint sent to you and use it to position the bolts.  If there is a mistake made, you'll have to start over from scratch--remember that.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »

I would wait until the tower arrives. The factory may send you the wrong "template" for the tower base or it may not include important mechanical considerations. Remember, Murphy's Law applies to everything in the universe! Be careful taking advise from hams that have never owned a tower.  Wink
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »

Be careful taking advise from hams that have never owned a tower.  Wink

Huh?  Everyone is giving the same advice so how is this jab relevant?  Do you own a tower?
KO0Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 02:54:27 PM »

US Tower is an excellent company to work with.  I purchased a HDX-555 from them and then had them ship the base and mounting bolts separately.  It came in about two weeks after purchasing the tower.  They will also email you the installation manual so you can double check they sent you the right base.  I then used the base to hold the mounting bolts in place (instructions show you how to do this) and then poured the concrete.  This is the best way to do it since the concrete has to cure for 30 days before you can mount the tower on it.  My tower was ready six weeks after ordering it, and I took a trailer down to Lincoln, KS and picked  it up.

The tower went up without a hitch.  Their dimensions were perfect and everything was of very high quality.  I don't know about the other manufacturers, but I wouldn't hesitate doing this way with US Tower.  Since you've already ordered your tower, just call them up and they'll ship you the base via UPS.  The cost to ship the base separately was $50, but my base weighed probably 60 or more lbs.

Good Luck!

Gary KOØQ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 04:43:47 AM »

Be careful taking advise from hams that have never owned a tower.  Wink

Huh?  Everyone is giving the same advice so how is this jab relevant?  Do you own a tower?

Just ignore 'SDY.  He's nothing but a troll who gets his jollies from insulting just about anybody he can.  A real legend in his own mind.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:45:22 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 06:29:05 AM »

"The lady doth protest too much methinks." Hamlet, Act III, William Shakespear

Do you own a tower?
I only give advise from experience, not guessing, like some of the self-appointed eHam.net experts that frequent this site. One in particular often tries to give tower advise and has never even owned a tower. Gee, how did I know that? Wink

"Everyone is giving the same advice so how is this jab relevant."
No, I advised him to wait until the tower arrives so he can see what he will be working with and measure accurately, rather than asking for a template. What's the rush? He can't put the tower up until it gets there anyway. My communication is not a "jab," it is a matter of safety. Would you take advise on folding a parachuting from someone who has never owned one?  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:16:52 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
W3DDF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 07:11:16 AM »

N0YXB lookup comes up for me.  I guess he is a ham.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:13:31 AM »

I see it now. The 0 is a number. My mistake!  Grin
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:16:17 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 07:16:40 AM »

Are you even a ham?
Strangely, NOYXB does not turn up any valid ham license information on the FCC or QRZ site. Why am I not surprised? Birds of a feather flock together!  Grin

Yes I am a licensed amateur radio operator and have been licensed since the late '70s.  Hint, my call is N0YXB.  The second character is a zero.   Roll Eyes

Back to the topic at hand.  Good advice has been provided here, even yours.  But telling someone to ignore the advice of another ham that is exactly the same as the advice you provided, well that's a bit strange.

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 07:19:47 AM »

Read the posts again and then I will place you back on "ignore." Others have suggested ordering a template rather than waiting for the tower and base to arrive. My suggestion, to avoid problems, was to wait for the actual tower. Common sense!  Grin
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 07:28:30 AM »

Oh please put me back on ignore ASAP!  Hopefully you can manage that better than trying to perform a call sign look up.  I read the posts and the most recent target of your aggression gave the same advice as you.   Tongue

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 07:38:38 AM »

"At the very least have a factory supplied template of the tower base footprint sent to you and use it to position the bolts."
Bad advise from someone who has never owned a tower and bad reading comprehension from someone who is posting just to annoy.  Roll Eyes

Your wish has been granted. You are back on "ignore!"  Grin
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »

I would get the plate.  As an engineer I know that if it can go wrong it will go wrong.

It is your base and you can do as you will but if it was my tower, I would be working with the actual plate - one less thing to go wrong

Mark N1UK
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: