Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: compass affected by lightning storm ,my dads unusual huniting compass  (Read 5924 times)
KG4YMC

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:04:09 PM »

Hi, folks, the recent thurnderstorms got me thinking about something that happen to my dads hunting compass after a thunderstorm . He had a compass that he used for hunting that sat on a gun case at our old house in ocala. Central fla is lightning ally I guess. Anyway, guess during a lightning storn his compass got reversed and read true south . ha  ah..He used to get a kick out of showing it to his hunting buddys , and even used it , my mom and I laughted that if a hunter fo Cheesy found him in the woods and tried to use it . Anway wonder if anybody ever had anthing like that happen? lightning is strange stuff .  Just funny story .. kg4ymc  don't know if mom still has compass , anymore..
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:13:40 AM »

Many years ago, I had a Boy Scout compass I picked up used.  One side of the needle was marked "N"--and it pointed due south.  The other, non-N, side pointed north.   I always assumed it was a manufacturing defect; it never occurred to me that something might have changed the polarity.  Interesting!
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »

A lightning strike on a nearby conductor, such as a length of wire or pipe, can build up a pretty significant magnetic field. 

Then there is the back-pulse to consider as well. 

The initial strike is DC in one direction, but as soon as that dissipates, the huge magnetic field around the conductor collapses and generates voltage in the opposite direction.  Sometimes this can go back and forth for a series of damped E-M exchanges. 

Yes, it could be possible that, under the right circumstances of orientation, that a compass needle could get remagnetized backwards due to a lightning strike. 

There may be other reasons as well.  I once obsered a magnetic compass that, unbeknownst to the owner, got stored in the nearfield of a rather large permanent magnet and it, too, pointed South instead of North after that.  But I proceeded to fix that compass for the guy by using a DC coil to remagnetize it in the correct orientation again.

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »

A strong magnetic field - such as what a lightning strike can generate - can re-magnetize the needle.

The result is then known as a "Tates" compass, because he who has a Tates is lost.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:41:19 PM »

A strong magnetic field - such as what a lightning strike can generate - can re-magnetize the needle.

The result is then known as a "Tates" compass, because he who has a Tates is lost.

That's really old, but we can't have archaic and eat it, too.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »

Interesting!

Im gonna buy a  compass for the Next lighting storm just to see if i can duplicate this unusual phenom. Lightening storms have always gained my respect and enthusiasm. I just love watching them and photographing them.

Thanks for sharing!
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:24:51 PM »

good grief, I didn't know I would also open the floodgates on bad puns, you  guys  are really bad, thanks for the laughts. I have two disclaimers.  1 no , this did not happen in the bermuda triangle 2 if the losss pilots from flight 19 showed up , I would really have a strange twist to the story, but yes it actually happen. I don't remeber if this happen at the same time, but we had lightning hit the house in ocala ,  my brother was checking the house at time time , and it had hit a fusebox, and had blown afuse right out of the box, would have caught the house on fire , don't know if that was when dad compass freak out , but sure there was some magnetic fields havining a fit then .  NOt related, but there actually is a Tates hell'  forest nearby . a guy named tate got lost in it , said he was in " hell till resuced, don't know if he had a bad compass or not . anway I need a job , to much time to think of old interesting stuff, fascinating and thanks for the imput . kg4ymc
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 08:40:27 PM »

I also wonder, ( not again) why they didn't use a giant dc coil to repolerize the earths magnetic field instead of havning to explode a nuke in the earths  core during  bad sc movie? core.  I can see it now , all these hams are gonna fly kites with compasses attached during a thunderstorm, ah amateur radio experimentation is reborn, be careful out there guys , and gals .kg4ymc  wonder ben franklin didn''t get fried .
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 07:47:07 AM »

n2rra. just curious, have you ever photograph ball lightning? be carful and keep the faraday car nearby ?  terry kg4ymnc
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:54:56 PM »

gotta try hooking a kite up to a liberal during a storm, see what happens , sorry , courn't  resist. ;Dkg4ymc
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »

In the book, "Journey to the Centre of the Earth", didn't their compass get reversed by a big storm. I never thought it was possible but now I know better.

Mark N1UK
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 11:03:29 PM »

There was a storm, but IIRC, the compass stopped working "because they had reached the Center of the Earth."

I'd think it would give a solid reading, being at the center of the Earth's magnetic field and such, but...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 12:55:29 PM »

good grief, I didn't know I would also open the floodgates on bad puns, you  guys  are really bad, thanks for the laughts. I have two disclaimers.  1 no , this did not happen in the bermuda triangle 2 if the losss pilots from flight 19 showed up , I would really have a strange twist to the story, but yes it actually happen. I don't remeber if this happen at the same time, but we had lightning hit the house in ocala ,  my brother was checking the house at time time , and it had hit a fusebox, and had blown afuse right out of the box, would have caught the house on fire , don't know if that was when dad compass freak out , but sure there was some magnetic fields havining a fit then .  NOt related, but there actually is a Tates hell'  forest nearby . a guy named tate got lost in it , said he was in " hell till resuced, don't know if he had a bad compass or not . anway I need a job , to much time to think of old interesting stuff, fascinating and thanks for the imput . kg4ymc

Yes, the bad puns have "no bearing" on the situation. There is almost a magnetic attraction to this posting. Your gauss is as good as mine.

I seem to be in a state of flux. There are definitely some lines of farce.

Did you hear about the guy from Kentucky who got struck by lightning and is now stuck to the state? They call him a permiabilly.

Tisha
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:02:51 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 02:08:32 PM »

Tisha, you engineer 's     have to much time , enjoyed the laughts, do you date someone named dilbert?kg4ymc Grin
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 01:49:24 PM »

did you hear about the old retired rock stars at the villages in fla that formed a rock group? they dressed up in differnt work outfits , call themselves the VINTAGE PEOPLE?  ok mabey this will put a stop to bad puns... prbably not  have a great day kg4ymc Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: