Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Troubleshooting No Audio in 11 Meter President Washington  (Read 1066 times)
WW2K

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »

Hi folks...   Sorry for bringing an 11 meter question to a Ham site.... but I've been out of 11 meters for so long I don't know where to go for this question.   I'm guessing my ham buddies know the answer.    Anyways here goes....   

In addition to my Amateur Radio Equipment, I also have a beautiful President Washington Base.  The radio is stock.   It has not had any mods of any kind done to it.  It is connected to an antenna with low SWR.   It has a mic. that is wired properly.   I have tried both the internal speaker and also the exterior speaker jack.    The S-Meter shows that I am receiving signals up to S-9 however I'm not able to hear any audio coming from the speakers.  Any Ideas?   I also checked to make sure that the speaker was hooked up.    Experience has told me that if something just doesn't work, it is often easier to fix than if it works poorly. I looked inside the radio and I don't see or smell any burned resisters or anything obvious.   I'd love to have this radio restored to working as well as it looks. 

I can be emailed at ww2k@live.com
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »

It sounds as if your problem is limited to the audio output stage.  Not to insult your intelligence, but have you made sure the squelch is off?

I have no idea if you're talking about a tube or solid state rig.  If it's a tube rig, then get the tubes checked.  If it's solid state, then the first thing you're will probably need is a schematic.  After that, you're going to need a signal tracer or oscilloscope to find out where the signal is being lost.

WW2K

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:21:55 PM »

No worries on the squelch tip..    Actually I did check that too, but that's not the problem.    Its a solid state rig.     
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »

Does it have a phone jack. Sometimes the phone jack becomes stuck and causes the internal speaker to be disconnected. Did you check it with another speaker to make sure the speaker is working. If it has a phone jack did you try using headphones on it to see if the audio is working that way. It is definitely a problem with the audio stage. It will require a a schematic and a signal tracer to find it if the above mentioned checks do not work.

Hope this helps.

73s
K2OWK
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:43 PM »

Can you try transmitting and check on the meter if you have any modulation ?
(that way you can eliminate the audio output IC even though you dont see any physical damage).......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: