Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NAQCC monthly sprint coming up - Wed. night  (Read 2262 times)
AE4RV

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »

http://naqcc.info/contests.html

My favorite monthly madness is tomorrow night. A good introduction to CW contesting and great practice for more seasoned ops. Plenty of opportunities to polish your weak signal skills but there will be strong signals to choose from as well.

It has a real simple exchange and is a good contest to practice holding a frequency, if you are normally in to search and pounce. QRP and simple antennas make for a fairly level playing field that most of us don't have in a big contest. I credit these low power sprints for the great time I had at Field Day this year as a guest CW op for a club, racking up points on a very noisy 80M band at 2AM. One guy complimented me and I said this is nothing! I participated in a milliwatt sprint last week!

To be clear, tomorrow's sprint is regular QRP, not milliwatt. Hope to see some of you guys (and gals?) there!

73, Geoff AE4RV
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 09:52:35 AM »

http://naqcc.info/contests.html

Plenty of opportunities to polish your weak signal skills... 

73, Geoff AE4RV

Bands - Frequencies:
80M - 3555-3565 kHz (Be courteous to FISTS operating on 3558 kHz)
40M - 7030-7045 kHz
20M - 14059-14065 kHz

Good deal Geoff, will be listening. Only goes for couple of hours. With my QRP rig right now w/o a piece of wire attached I can still play with the other rig. Having started that way I well remember how happy I was that someone, somewhere, picked up my signal, whether they answered in kind, or came booming back.

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
KI4GTD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:49:39 AM »

I've got a 40m kit coming; shame it won't be here. If it's monthly, maybe I'll make it in time for next month. I know very little CW right now but I'm hoping the "total immersion" method is going to work. Can't afford an all-mode radio at the moment...

73 Brian KI4GTD
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »

I've got a 40m kit coming; shame it won't be here. If it's monthly, maybe I'll make it in time for next month. I know very little CW right now but I'm hoping the "total immersion" method is going to work. Can't afford an all-mode radio at the moment...

73 Brian KI4GTD
Was working QRP back when that was all I had; still use it portable and will from home for these type things. From the perspective of someone who doesn't "chase" DX or contests, etc., these are short enough to be both intense and fun. I found the immersion to be very valuable next day. Discerning weak signals, grabbing call-signs and other particulars; coming out the other side I found my brain closer to a speed increase the day after. (If I had an HG Wells time-machine I'd go back in the service and do the immersion thing as a Morse radio op.) When you get an HF rig that will play in one of these bands, just get on the air & start having fun. The learning comes along for the ride.

I do believe there is also a regular SKCC Straight-Key sprint tonight.....
 Grin

Wes -KC9TNH
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »

Cool, thanks for the heads up, Wes. I think I'll check it out. I may shorten my name to "Geo" for the exchange, hi.

And Brian, hope to see you in upcoming sprints. Be sure and join the SKCC and NAQCC clubs - both are free.

You'll want a reasonable foundation in Morse before attempting a sprint, but then again...total immersion. The club sprints are good beginner's contests but are more challenging than a 6 WPM QSO under good conditions, that's for sure. However, most ops WILL slow down for you so try it out. Get RuffzXP (if u haven't already) to get that contest-style Morse speed up and instant mechanical character recognition. No time to count dits in a contest.

Wes, hope to run in to you tonight, thanks again.

Geoff
KI4GTD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »

Thanks! I'll probably monitor next month, just to see if I've learned anything. No use tying up the air waves with a bunch of gibberish. After that, though, sounds like that might be just the trick to really get started. I'll definitely check out the clubs mentioned.

73 Brian KI4GTD
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:10:39 AM »

I may shorten my name to "Geo" for the exchange, hi.
I'd think I had some DX'er for points, or something.
Wink

Wes, hope to run in to you tonight, thanks again.

Geoff
Was fun; just a few QSO's (40m was pretty "animated") between ice-cream & brief disconn for tstm threat. Stuck to my 14wpm and played with Jim's suggestion to print & found that's buried in my muscle memory somewhere. Have found these sprints (SK, QRP, etc.) have some training value beyond just making QSO's. I can try stuff in a relaxed way to validate it. Even got to really use my IF Shift for the first time on the rig last night when someone with a 700Hz tone setup on our QSO inside my 300Hz filter.

Short of going back in time and heading to Devens or Huachuca to get immersed, these are good substitutes (my view) for someone who also has a working life outside of their headphones. Just the listening has value for me; whether to 'pounce' is a personal decision. Where you gonna get all that for free?
 Smiley

Wes -KC9TNH
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 06:38:03 AM »

I heard you briefly last night on 40, Wes, nice sig. I caught the tail end of one of your pounces.

Yes these are great practice. I finally worked CW at a public Field Day site this year and was completely on top of my game. Was fun to show off CW skills and do it with complete confidence. Can't wait for next year.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: