Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you ready for ST0R? Sierra Tango Zero Romeo QRZ?  (Read 21411 times)
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2011, 05:00:35 AM »

"I was pleased with my "haul". 10m ssb, 12m cw and ssb, 15m ssb, 17m cw and ssb, 20m cw and ssb. I have a lot of "metal" in the air but even so the pile ups were huge"

Yes, but what about "All Directions (must be 16 points on the compass), All Hours of the Day, & All Golf Courses and Under All Tabaldi Trees"?  (and how can we forget..All Parking Lots, as few as there are there).  Roll Eyes

Anyway..Congrats to All..

73'..Tom N3ZC

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:04 AM »

The sigs from TY1 have been MUCH louder than ST0R, but then Benin is alot closer too! TY1 is not rare, that helps to make sigs loud.  Wink

paul

They are/were an all time newbie for me.
Thought I got em on 17ph yesterday, but it is not in their on-line log.
17ph is one of todays projects.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2011, 10:48:21 AM »

Got TY1KS on 30 cw a day or so ago.. would like to work em' a few other places if I can.
KC3ET

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »

Well, the ST0R dxpedition has ended. I can only say that it was somewhat disappointing to me. While I did manage to have several qso's with their operators, it was really tough to do. Mostly because of the poor propagation, frequency cops
: (, and the huge amount of operators operating on the wrong vfo. That happened to me too : (  . It also appeared to me that the ST0R operators seemed to be working European operators for hours on end. Incuding times when we here in North America had decent signal strength and propagation. I understand, looking at the propagation maps that operators in European would have many many hours of propagation, as we in North America had less. This sort of reminds me of the problems encounted with world wide operations during the Desecheo Island dxpedition, in which we in North America had many many hours of loud propagation to that island. From looking at the ST0R online logs, it appears that my assertions are correct in that they did have qso's with more Europeans operators than others. Although North American operators were second on their statistical list. I suspect that quite a few of those on the ST0R leader board were many big gun DXCC operators who worked them on all band slots possible. Good for them. Bad for the little guys : (

I also noted that the ZD8D Ascension Island dxpedition was very difficult to work from my home near Pittsburgh because of weak signals and poor propagation. It also appeared to me IMHO, that they worked lots and lots of Europeans.

On another note, I found out recently that dx spots coming from a North American East Coast operator, are not actually coming from that station. The spots are actually being received at our locations in North America, using something called CW Skimmer and the Reverse Beacon Network to obtain the results, and then sent  to the operator electronically, scanned for accuracy and then are posted on the dxcluster network. I know in my case, I thought that they were coming from a particular area on the east coast. While I could hear the stations spotted, at times, most were very weak at my qth. So IMHO, I am kinda wondering if this experiment, is a good thing.

73 de Chuck W3ON
W5DC

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »

I listened to ST0R work eastern US for hours but never hear them ask for the western US so my sympathy for whining about them working Eu is low.  You say you worked them; don't whine.  They were never stronger than very weak here and the local guns only worked them on one band.

Dunc, W5DC
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:57:08 PM by W5DC » Logged
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »

ST0R did an excellent job looking for W6 & W7.
I heard them on several evenings calling for W6 & 7
and did it for 1 or 2 hours at a time(provided there was prop.)
G4AZB

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »

It's about the propagation, in Northern Europe they were not that easy to work on 100 watts - I had a long wait (many days - near the end) while they worked through the Southern Europeans. It seemed like this 1. Qro Southern EU, Lower power Southern EU, Qro Northern Europe, etc etc. The log analysis should show this. I completely missed 24 Mhz because when the signal peaked to me they called NA only. Thats life. I am grateful for the slots I got and am grateful for those the hard work the ST0R put in to give me this chance.  Cool

When your facing a 59+30 Southern EU wall, you have little choice but to work your way through it. If you look at a map of the first hop skip on HF a lot of the time parts of Southern EU would be roaring in - not easy !!, those who have been around a while know that wall, and its jammers, are not easy to control, although there are many good individual operators, in these countries.

Thanks to the team
Steve
G4AZB/M
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »

One thing I'm sure of:  When the DX is working split, the guys who forget to hit the <split> button and call on the DX frequency--that's a little nuisance.  Not a big deal, most of 'em (like me) notice it soon.  But what IS a big annoyance is those guys who can't keep quiet, who just have to yell "UP, you lid!" at the guy.   The "frequency cops" are a lot more bother than the guys who make a little mistake and call as it's simplex.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »

But what IS a big annoyance is those guys who can't keep quiet, who just have to yell "UP, you lid!" at the guy.   The "frequency cops" are a lot more bother than the guys who make a little mistake and call as it's simplex.

I agree. I just listened to an op send "UL  UP  UL UAR UP" (not a lot of experience with the letter P) on the DX freq, and terminate the QRM with LID.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:39:32 PM by AB8MA » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »

But what IS a big annoyance is those guys who can't keep quiet, who just have to yell "UP, you lid!" at the guy.   The "frequency cops" are a lot more bother than the guys who make a little mistake and call as it's simplex.

I agree. I just listened to an op send "UL  UP  UL UAR UP" (not a lot of experience with the letter P) on the DX freq, and terminate the QRM with LID.

I  must have miscopied these guys, I usually think I am hearing "IT P".

paul
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »

Looks like the OQRS is up and running.

http://www.dxfriends.com/SouthernSudan2011/qsl_service/index.php

ex W4HFK
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2011, 01:10:10 PM »

Doesn't do me any good.

NO PayPal account and I AIN'T going to establish one just for this card.
Snail mail still works.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »

OQRS is indeed up and running.  I just used it.  Minimum donations is 5 E ($7.31) for
any number of QSO'S (I had two).  So direct would be cheaper ($2 plus $1 for postage to
Spain). 
This system has you enter the complete data on each QSO and it checks the accuracy with their log.  So if you enter and make an error it kicks out that QSO and you can correct the error (I didn't have that happen so I might be off a detail or two). 
Anyway it is easier than fiddling with direct mail. 
I wonder if the exchange rate of euro to dollors will ever get to a more equitable rate?
I don't recall seeing any announcement that they will upload to LOTW which is the easiest
and cheapest way.  It will be nice to have a QSL from a brand new country (although one
may have worked the same local in the past).  Just like the PJ enties where you get credit for working a place that you worked before.   I mean they didn't rebuild Saint Maarten!
73 Allen
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2011, 05:51:04 AM »

I read somewhere that ST0R won't upload to LOTW for 1 year after the end date.

I have used the online system to request a QSL, I only wish they used someone that could speak english to set it up.
EI5GUB

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2011, 06:15:50 AM »

Hi can I ask will STOR be a new DXCC country as they were deleted in the past and also how can I modify Logger32 to show it as a country worked as it shows it as deleted,any ideas please,regards EI5GUB
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: