Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for top quality conventional analog whole-band VHF mobile  (Read 1967 times)
NEVBEN

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »

I am looking for a 136-174 MHz VHF mobile.  I don't need or want to pay for digital (P25 or NXDN) or trunking (digital or LTR etc.), and need only conventional, analog VHF phone, but I do want a top-quality unit and narrowband (12.5MHz capable).  40W to 50W is fine.  The primary use is local simplex coms on the amateur bands, a few local relays, nothing fancy (my play area is elsewhere).  I don't really need dual-band/UHF but I would consider paying for it whereas useless-to-me bells and whistles are out for sure.  I would prefer a control panel with easy to use (simple) functions and long-string alphanumeric display.

I'm looking at the Motorola CDM 1250.  I can buy new or one of the plenty minty ones on ebay.

Besides that, I'm considering the IC-F5021, the Vertex VX-4500, Kenwood TK-7180, maybe Relm?

I just don't know enough about the various market positions to know if I buy brand "A" it's going to be a mistake or not.  Any advice is much appreciated.
KD7VDB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:33:42 PM »

Look up yaesu ft-1500m, great compact 2m rig that does everything you want, menu's are a pain at first but once you have it down its a piece of cake. Used it for packet with ISS.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »

I suggest the commercial Kenwood.

NEVBEN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:14:50 AM »

I sort of get the impression the B-K (Relm but not Relm) P25 KNG-M800 are like the bomb, but as a ham I want to use my budget on shortwave not VHF, and the low-end Relm doesn't impress.  I know that Motorola used to be the king of analog but that company also took most of the pressure resulting from the pain of conversion to digital (2008 was a bad year), and for a lot of reasons, as a business suffered a lot in more recent years, to the point of bankruptcy and reorganization.  I know Vertex is hot with amateurs on the Yaesu brand but I sort of get the impression that the commercial market is lukewarm to them.  ICOM seems to by far have the biggest marketing/sales front but the enthusiasm is all paid-for.  It comes from ICOM marketing not the user base.  Kenwood is obviously a well-established brand, but I don't know anything about their position in the commercial market.
KB9JXZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »

As somebody that works with all types of commercial radios I would say go with the Kenwood. If you go Motorola I would stay away from the CDM 1250. There is a reason you can get one easily, they are junk, I know Motorola dealers that wont sell them for that reason.

NEVBEN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »

Aha... I knew someone would have a word to the wise.  I don't need this thing to satisfy all my interest in the hobby, but just to work reliably because I will depend on it to serve for the comparatively mundane but important task of local VHF coms.  The advice is much appreciated.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »

Well a reliable VHF radio for me is the Yaesu FT-2500.  I own two of them, had a third at one time.  Yes, they are limited in channels, but are mil-rated, for what that is worth.  Simple to program.  They were selling used for $50-75, but it seems they are going for a higher price lately.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: