Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rant: Intentional QRM / Jamming of Certain DX Stations  (Read 4503 times)
W6DXO

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:48:26 PM »

Guys, I admit this is a rant but this sort of thing really ticks me off. 
I'm sure some of you have experienced this...I'm talking about the blatant QRM'ing / jamming of certain DX stations. 

The other day I was monitoring Dave, A92GE and someone started broadcasting some
sort of prerecorded garbage right on top of him in an obvious and successful attempt to QRM his QSO's.

This is not just the bad behavior of tuning up on top of an active DX station that you're going to call, this was malicious
QRM'ing.

A few weeks earlier I experienced the same thing with a TT station.  I'm not going to speculate on why these stations or entities or operators
were subjected to this, it's the behavior that I am focused on.

I'm an old timer I guess, and I have always felt that Ham Radio was a place where certain "old fashioned" traditions and
codes of conduct still prevailed and bound the Ham Radio community together.  This tradition of civility and respect has allowed
a hugely diverse group of individuals to come together with this great hobby.  I just hate to see this type of behavior in a hobby I enjoy so much.. 

OK, I feel better now.

73 de harry, W6DXO
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »

I thought the very same thing, this afternoon, driving home from work:  Some morons were playing recorded music and sending CW over some net on 20m phone.  What sort of brain-damaged human trash thinks it's acceptable to do THAT just because you don't like the people using the frequency? 
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:36:50 PM »

The less recognition given the jammers and other miscreants, the more rapidly they will disappear.

By the way, A92GE goes by "David".

Dave, AA6YQ

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:47:48 AM »

Yep, it does not get any better.  My thoughts on this crap?? At LEAST 80% of this is done by ragchewer types, who have some kind of personal hard on for DXers. (Yeah, I feel about the same way about ragchewers.. heh heh) My definition of a ragchewer is a poor old ham who even though he has internet and Television, has to ask his cousin in an adjoining state what the weather is over there. Makes me want to puke. Angry
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:17:14 AM »

Yep, it does not get any better.  My thoughts on this crap?? At LEAST 80% of this is done by ragchewer types, who have some kind of personal hard on for DXers.

I don't see any reason to try to assign blame with zero evidence. 

If you track down a couple hundred jammers and survey them, and the predominant answer is "we like to ragchew so we jam DX" then I'll believe you that it's ragchewers.  Otherwise you're just trying to fuel the stupid fighting that goes on between subsets of our ranks.

"CONTESTERS SUK"

"NO DXERS DO"

"SSTV IS SSTUPID"

"PSK?  PSK?  I'VE HEARD STRONGER SIGNALS OUT OF JUPITER!"

Ultimately, jammers are jammers.  That's what they like to do with ham radio.  They're their own category, and I don't think anyone actually has any evidence of their "demographics" in terms of what they like to do when they're not jamming.   I think it's probably safe to assume that the people who are jamming enjoy jamming.  I think it's silly to assign jamming blame based on your distaste for how others spend their operating time. 

Jammers are jammers.  Jammers are ass-----.  That's enough for me. 

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »

[I don't see any reason to try to assign blame with zero evidence.  

If you track down a couple hundred jammers and survey them, and the predominant answer is "we like to ragchew so we jam DX" then I'll believe you that it's ragchewers.  

We all are allowed our opinions. Mine is as stated, and until someone can PROVE to me that such is not the case, it will remain my opinion. Doesnt really matter who is doing it because Obviously, there is nothing we can do about this bunch of jerks, but I have fantisized some "treatments" involving rusty butcher knives, a big staple, a tree stump, lighter fluid, etc etc. for them......... heh heh heh  By the way, I can truthfully say that I have never jammed a ragchewer, even tho it HAS crossed my mind. 73, Gene  Angry
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:22:10 AM by AF3Y » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »

I don't think you can point a finger at any one group.
Ever since the world wide economic down turn I have noticed strange behaviour from many people I know, most of whom where really OK people before.  As my Dad use to say, "It's easy to be nice, funny, generous and polite when your rich. The real test of your character is doing it when your broke".
I think a lot of these clowns on the radio are just frustrated people who are now easily angered because life is not what it use to be for them, maybe it's Monetary problems or just political dissatisfaction, the Radio presents an anonymous way for a coward to vent.

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 06:11:29 PM »

We all are allowed our opinions. Mine is as stated, and until someone can PROVE to me that such is not the case, it will remain my opinion.

Here, here, well said. After all, this is the good ol' US of A, where one is guilty until proven innocent. Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right. Oh well, there's no reason to let facts (or their absence) get in the way.

73 Jack

BTW, Gene, is that your card on qrz? Absolutely gorgeous.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:15:16 PM by AJ4SQ » Logged
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »

"CONTESTERS SUK"

"NO DXERS DO"

"SSTV IS SSTUPID"

"PSK?  PSK?  I'VE HEARD STRONGER SIGNALS OUT OF JUPITER!"

You forgot:
"LIFE'S TOO SHORT FOR QRP"

While I've never heard Jammers playing music... I often wonder if the guys you hear tuning up right on top of DX are just clueless idiots tuning up on top of the DX or just people venting frustration that they can't work the DX so they decide to Jam the frequency for everyone else. "I can't work em... so nobody else can muahahah!"

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »

BTW, Gene, is that your card on qrz? Absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks! That is my old card. Pic was taken on the Wacamaw River, I believe. I have a new card since moving to Florida, lots of flamingos.. heh heh.  I may put it on QRZ. 73, Gene AF3Y
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »

Or possibly the guys you hear tuning up to top of the DX actually CANNOT HEAR the DX or the person working them if they are also DX (Plenty of us out there with inner city locations and S6 QRM all the time)!

This is why my standard tuneup is "M6ATV[1] tuning up, is this frequency in use?" Then LISTEN, then go brick on key while I fiddle with whatever needs fiddling with, then "M6ATV[1] tuneup complete" then Listen again to see if any apologies are in order.  For the most part tuneup can be done at well under a watt if your instruments are of reasonable quality, but there are some things you  need to do at real power.

I would note that this tuneup is actually illegal as it is neither a CQ call nor addressed to a particular callsign, but it seems to me that common sense almost certainly applies here. 

I don't DX (No point in getting involved with my QTH), but I would be mortified to find I had stepped on some ongoing QSO where either side was even marginally audible to me.. (If I cannot hear either side, then well sorry, but how am I supposed to know what is going on?).

One other gotcha is that (PSK guys looking at you) if your signal is 31Hz wide, then you really should be using NARROW IF filters, if I am 2Khz away I may not even know you are there is I have 500Hz or 250Hz quartz in the radio and a good frontend, no point bitching because you are using a 2.7Khz wide SSB filter for a narrowband mode and I have just wondered into your over wide IF passband with a 65db stronger signal.

Deliberate jamming (even of something you don't care for) is just wrong, turn the dial and find something you are interested in, there is plenty of space.

Regards, Dan (M6ATV/2E0CHE)

[1] Now 2E0CHE, passed the exam.

EI9JU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »

I would note that this tuneup is actually illegal as it is neither a CQ call nor addressed to a particular callsign, but it seems to me that common sense almost certainly applies here. 

Regards, Dan (M6ATV/2E0CHE)

[1] Now 2E0CHE, passed the exam.

That's why you should be tuning into a dummy load.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 03:45:32 PM »

That's why you should be tuning into a dummy load.

BINGO! You are CORRECT. I use mine without fail. I can only wonder why others dont. With my (and probably MOST) setup all it takes is the flip of the switch to go from the dummy load to the antenna. Still, I guess this is too damned complicated for some. 73 es gud DX, Gene AF3Y
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »

Dummy load is 50 ohms resistive, my electrically rather too short vertical is nothing like that, and setting the transmatch does require running a **Little** power (Roughly 1W to get an acceptable return loss measurement with my meter) into the thing so I can actually you know, find the null on the reflected power meter.......

'Tuning up is prehaps a misnomer in this context, I have a perfectly good LO derived from an OCXO, tuning up is a very occasional activity involving a low Allan variance source locked to GPS reference and measuring to fractional Hz precision the 100Mhz OCXO  then telling the LO generators control micro about the measured value, it does not involve radiating much of anything.

Dummy loads are wonderful things and should certainly be used when  working on the rig, but the applicability to working on aerials and their associated matching networks is marginal (yea, I am lazy, I am not going to tune the AMU with a vector impedance bridge, just not going to happen).

Regards, Dan 2E0CHE.

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 06:33:40 PM »

Yep, it does not get any better.  My thoughts on this crap?? At LEAST 80% of this is done by ragchewer types, who have some kind of personal hard on for DXers. (Yeah, I feel about the same way about ragchewers.. heh heh) My definition of a ragchewer is a poor old ham who even though he has internet and Television, has to ask his cousin in an adjoining state what the weather is over there. Makes me want to puke. Angry

I really take offense to your statement. I am a casual operator and I do not go out of my way to chase DX. I also enjoy rag chewing.I will work a DX station if I can. I if I can't I just move on.

Not once has the thought ever occurred to me to try and jam a DX station or a contest station for that matter.

I am also not old, nor am I poor. And personally I could care less what your weather is like in your state.

To blame rag chewers for 80% of the QRM that is dumped on DX stations is just pure BS. Until you can prove otherwise I stand by my opinions.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:40:49 PM by VE3FMC » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: