Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF/UHF Dual Band Vertical Antenna Height  (Read 7423 times)
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 11:51:49 PM »

Quote:
Now, if you are talking about 70 centimeters and the difference in losses THERE between the two cable types, you're talking a whole different ballgame.
[/quote]

Well, Yes, Since the original post asked about VHF/UHF,   UHF IS included in the calculations!   

At two meters, There is not a whole lot of difference.  At UHF, The difference is dramatic.  Those who insist on using crummy feedline coax at UHF are the folks who say there "just is not much activity on UHF"   Because they do not know what they are missing out on IF they only had decent coax feedline!

KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 12:32:39 PM »

I would not go wild with height for repeater operation in your local area unless you need to access a difficult machine at a great distance or over rough terrain.
Choose a good antenna with as much gain as you can get.
Remember all the mobiles that access the same repeaters you want to are at a much lessor advantage to do so.
Low loss feed line is a major consideration especially on 440.
I would rec comend LMR 400 for feedline. Look up the loss per hundred feet as a feel for what feedlines to use.
Good luck.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »

You should still try to mount the antenna over the level of most of the obstructions around it.  That is the only way to guarantee that those obstructions won't interfere with your signal.
N5XO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »

I have spent a lot of time building a long range 2 meter station. As a rule I have 2 simple rules for anyone who wants to build a 2 meter station.

#1: altitude altitude altitude. As a very basic rule I would always recommend using as a minimum height of 15ft over the top of your trees. This will provide a large advantage in local communications. With this as your minimum height then work on as much height as you can get above that. With 50mhz and above the higher the better.

#2: I would and do consider LMR 400 as the minimum coax for 50 MHz and up, and personally run no less than 1/2 hardline.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: