Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DSP and "special" speakers  (Read 952 times)
VE4BLB

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »

Hi all, I have a Kenwood TS560 with DSP and other audio filters. I have a LOT of, I believe, white noise in my area. I'm not referring to power line or whistles, just S9 on all bands. I have a Cushcraft R8 vertical.
I wonder if buying one of those "special" speakers is worth the cost? Just using it in the shack, no mobile.
73 de me BLB

73 de me BLB
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:54:32 AM »

Odds are if it's on all bands and that strong, "your area" is your house.

I doubt much if any audio processing is going to help you here.  I would start with isolating the source of the noise.  First step is to kill the breakers and make sure it's not coming from within your home.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »

What K5LXP says . . .

"DSP" is not the same as "magical noise reduction".  If a CW or SSB signal is inaudible without DSP, it will be inaudible _with_ DSP.

Charles
VE4BLB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »

Mark, the noise is broadband and covers about two square miles separated by a large river. There is something in the terrain or something. Maybe if I switch to a beam?Huh

73 de me BLB
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:34:25 PM »

Special speakers will not help... you need to find the noise source(s).
First verify you lose the noise when you disconnect the antenna.  That will prove it is incoming via the antenna and you can work from there.
Do you have an AM radio with a ferrite bar antenna?  It can be useful looking for this type thing.

-Mike.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »

I use a $20 Uniden extension speaker. I have heard that some of the more expensive speakers do sound much better.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 05:02:19 PM »

"DSP" is not the same as "magical noise reduction".  If a CW or SSB signal is inaudible without DSP, it will be inaudible _with_ DSP.

I have to disagree. There has been a few times when copy got tuff or unreadable and I switched rigs and pulled it out with DSP. Lot of variables here.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:18:10 PM »

Have to agree with W8JX.

It may not be "magical noise reduction" but current technology IF DSP can produce striking improvements in readability.

The DSP noise reduction in my recently-acquired Kenwood TS-590S can definitely dig barely audible signals out of the noise.

Mel - KS2G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: