Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of website support  (Read 6562 times)
W9MB

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »

It is now fixed, Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:08:50 PM by W9MB » Logged
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:02:41 PM »

I agree. I was finally able to change my log-on to my new call sign after many E-Mails and a lot of frustration. It took a while, but persistence finally paid off. Keep E-Mailing all the available addresses in the Eham page, you will eventually get a response. I do not know why they make it so difficult.

Good luck,

73s

K2OWK
W9MB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »

My QRZ account updated automatically.  Strange, and this is the place that always wants money.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »

I don't know what to do.  I emailed the admins of this board twice in the last week or two about changing my logon to my new call, and I don't get any response.  Is there no one running the ship?  

Kinda hard on the folks for a guy with only four posts ...

Go to the left side of the page and click on EHAM HELP (FAQ)
Click on "I have a new call sign ..." under My EHam.
Follow the instructions

For all three complainers, it's amazing what you can learn if you bother to read the eHam FAQ.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:50:47 PM by W3LK » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »

I agree. I was finally able to change my log-on to my new call sign after many E-Mails and a lot of frustration. It took a while, but persistence finally paid off. Keep E-Mailing all the available addresses in the Eham page, you will eventually get a response. I do not know why they make it so difficult.

Good luck,

73s

K2OWK

They don't, if you bother to read the eHam FAQ.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3UPM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:55:05 PM »

Mine was updated after one email, was a bit of a wait, but what's the big hurry? Read a good book, get on the air, or stare at the sky for several hours. Maybe someone or something is trying to teach you a lesson in patience?  Wink
W9MB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »

I don't know what to do.  I emailed the admins of this board twice in the last week or two about changing my logon to my new call, and I don't get any response.  Is there no one running the ship?  

Kinda hard on the folks for a guy with only four posts ...

Go to the left side of the page and click on EHAM HELP (FAQ)
Click on "I have a new call sign ..." under My EHam.
Follow the instructions

For all three complainers, it's amazing what you can learn if you bother to read the eHam FAQ.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

I bet that was the first thing I did, don't you think?  And what does it matter how many posts I have?  Guess I'll move on to friendlier sites.....
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »

I bet that was the first thing I did, don't you think?  And what does it matter how many posts I have?  Guess I'll move on to friendlier sites.....

I owe you a partial apology. The procedure has been changed from what it was. Previously, you could do it yourself in about 10 minutes.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:19:45 PM by W3LK » Logged

K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »

The procedure I read on the FAQ page (which I went to first) said to contact the webmaster via E-Mail to change the log-on. That is when the trouble started as I never got an answer, and had to keep E-Mailing different people till I finally got it changed. They allow you to change your password on the site, but not your log-on name without webmaster intervention. I would guess it is for security reasons, but they should answer the E-Mail in a reasonable amount of time.

73s

K2OWK
W9MB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »

It is now fixed, Thank you.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 08:05:14 AM »

My QRZ account updated automatically.  Strange, and this is the place that always wants money.

QRZ.com uses your FCC call sign as your username in all cases.  It gets updates from the FCC
of call sign changes - and because your account / entry is governed by the FCC database your account
gets updated.  Our site does not do things that way.  Until recently the username (often call signs) changes
were not really handled at all by eham.net.  I wanted a way for users to have their usernames / call signs
changed - as opposed to just creating a new account. We have not built an automated tool yet to do these changes.
I have been doing them manually in an effort to understand the problems with changing a username. 
Since we have never really offered a way to do this in the past there is a lot of cruft.  A number of times I have had to change three call signs in order to do one change request because the call signs had all changed hands several times.     

I am sorry for the delay in getting to your call sign change request and I am sorry for this long reply.

George
K5TR
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 08:07:28 AM »

emailing all of the addresses is not the answer.

If you do not email the callsignchange address it will likely result in delays to getting your username/callsign changed.

George
K5TR
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 08:10:01 AM »

The procedure I read on the FAQ page (which I went to first) said to contact the webmaster via E-Mail to change the log-on. That is when the trouble started as I never got an answer, and had to keep E-Mailing different people till I finally got it changed. They allow you to change your password on the site, but not your log-on name without webmaster intervention. I would guess it is for security reasons, but they should answer the E-Mail in a reasonable amount of time.

I am sorry that it took so long in your case and that you did not get an email response back in a timely manner.

From the above it sounds like your request was before we really had a process to change a callsign / username on the site.

I am working on making this process better. 

George
K5TR
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »

I am sorry that it took so long in your case and that you did not get an email response back in a timely manner.

From the above it sounds like your request was before we really had a process to change a callsign / username on the site.

I am working on making this process better. 

I believe there is an SMF module that allows people to request username changes. If not in SMF 1.x I believe I saw it in SMF 2.x when I was setting it up for someone.  I'm more of a vBulletin man myself, and I KNOW that module exists...but vBull is $$$ and SMF is not so.... Wink

K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »

I believe there is an SMF module that allows people to request username changes. If not in SMF 1.x I believe I saw it in SMF 2.x when I was setting it up for someone.  I'm more of a vBulletin man myself, and I KNOW that module exists...but vBull is $$$ and SMF is not so.... Wink

There might be - but SMF only does the forums on this site - all of the rest is custom code.  Our user management predates SMF use on the system and has to be used in all parts of the site not just SMF.  It is one of the areas that we are working on with our major rewrite of the system that is going on now.

George
K5TR
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: