Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSO Sim recommendations  (Read 708 times)
KG6MEG

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2002, 06:06:45 PM »

Hello,

Passed my code element Saturday after about 20 hours practice over 60 days. I find the code fascinating, and as such I'd like to continue to build my speed. I started with random character generation through all the letters, numbers and symbols. I then went to a simple QSO sim for actual conversations. I will set up my HF station soon, however I would like to be able to slip in a quick CW practice occasionally. PC is good for this at work or at home. Any suggestions ?

Mike
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2002, 06:46:03 PM »

NuMorse Pro has QSO simulations in three lengths.  I find it less predictable than some other software because it randomizes the elements somewhat.  It would be better if it had more names, locations, etc. but it is still the best I have found.  It creates random call signs based on the US call sign structure which is a good learning tool.

Download the MP3 files from the W1AW practice sessions at ARRL.  You can play these through your media program and even burn them to CD's for the car.  NuMorse will also create WAV files that you can burn to CD.

Finally, there are places on the Internet where you can download random word lists (sorry, I can't think of a link right now).  Most of the software trainers out there will play a simple text file back so this is a good way to proceed from letters to words in "head copy" mode.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2002, 07:23:16 PM »

go to  http://www.g4fon.co.uk/  and down load his free  soft ware.  there is also a program there you can use to type in on the computer and it scores for you too.  this is the koch method. you start with 2 characters at 20 wpm, thenlisten and copy for 5 minutes.  when you get 90% on the two, add one letter and go again.  when you have all of the 46 numbers, prosigns and letters learned, you know code at 20 wpm, which is useful, and you can pass the 5 wpm test in your sleep..  Ray has made this a great program  73  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: