Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best CW practice tapes/cds  (Read 738 times)
WB0MBI

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2002, 08:15:25 AM »

After many  years off the air I am back trying to regain my skills in cw.  I am confident and competent at 5 WPM but would like to get up to 20.  What tapes do you recommend?  I know Gordon West has several and ARRL.  I am using an old AMECO set of audio tapes.  Just sit back and relax and listen to the letters. Not competent yet on whole words.  I have several freeware programs and they all help some.  I am committed to use a strait key until I become competent at 15-20 wpm.

Koch method?  any other techniques recommended?

Thanks.
KC5SAO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 05:15:51 PM »

Jerry I kinda of like the koch method myself, there's a previous post to yours about 8 back. It's a free download, with a lot of good parameters on it.
Tom KC5SAO
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2002, 06:52:57 PM »

I like NuMorse Pro (about $35), it is all I have every used.  It does regular or Koch lessons and will drill you up to 50 WPM.

The best thing about NuMorse is that you can feed it plain text and it will create WAV files that you can convert to CD-ROM to play in the car.  If you listen to the same tapes over and over, you will start to memorize.  Try feeding your e-mail messages to NuMorse and "read" them on your way to work.  Can't get more random than that.

Also, the W1AW practice files are available for download off the ARRL site in MP3 format, also easy to burn onto a music CD for the car.  Those change weekly as I recall, available in several speeds up to 40 WPM.
KF6VCI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 10:17:16 PM »

I like the ARRL Introduction and am now trying the windows program from http://www.mrx.com GL! 73, Chris kf6vci@qsl.net
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2002, 07:27:13 PM »

go to  http://www.g4fon.co.uk/  and down load his free  soft ware.  there is also a program there you can use to type in on the computer and it scores for you too.  this is the koch method. you start with 2 characters at 20 wpm, thenlisten and copy for 5 minutes.  when you get 90% on the two, add one letter and go again.  when you have all of the 46 numbers, prosigns and letters learned, you know code at 20 wpm, which is useful, and you can pass the 5 wpm test in your sleep..  Ray has made this a great program  73  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: