Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Triplite DC Power Supply  (Read 520 times)
KL3HY

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:06:30 AM »

I just got my Technician class license in June, and I'm setting up a little base station using my dual band mobile that also use in my truck.

I bought a Triplite 25 amp power supply, but I noticed that the DC lugs on the back are completely exposed.  This was a big surprise to me for obvious reasons.  I realize the thing has a fuse in it, but it seems dangerous to me to have them exposed where fall against them and short.

Is this common with power supplies?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »

Yes, most power supply output connectors are exposed. I have four and all are that way.

If one pays attention to their shack layout, the possibility of terminals being accidentally shorted is pretty much a non issue. Just use common sense as to placement of equipment.

If it really bothers you, simply cover the exposed terminals with a couple of layers of electrical.

Welcome to the ranks of Amateur Radio.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »

Thanks Lon,

It just seemed strange to me.  I've been a computer guy for much longer than I've been a Ham, so I tend to have metal computer parts everywhere in my computer room (now AKA the shack), so I'll just have to keep a cleaner area I suppose.   Grin

Mike
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 06:55:44 AM »

I currently have three power supplies in use in the shack and all of them sit on the floor. There's nothing even close to the terminals. Now if you keep the PS on your desk/bench you have to be a little more watchful.

BTW, I was in your fair city last summer (for the second time) and the train ride from Anchorage to Fairbanks was fantastic. Of course it was beat by the flight back across the peaks of Denali. Smiley  AWESOME!!!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:57:58 AM by W3LK » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: