Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Koch Method of learning CW, question for the group  (Read 575 times)
NC0S

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2002, 12:06:12 PM »

After being off the air for about 5 years, I decided to try to build my code speed back up to 25 wpm or so.  By using this Koch method, I've found it fairly easy to get back into the swing of things.  You can find it at www.qsl.net/g4fon.  It even has noise and QSB options; I sometimes forget I'm listening to the PC.

My question to the group.  Since I was a 20wpm extra, I know the code, I'm just brushing up now that I'm going to be getting back on the air.  The recommended study time for sessions is 5 minutes, but I'm doing about 15 to 20 1-minute sessions a day.  Is this a good way to practice, or should I be doing let's say 3 5-minute sessions?  When I've done a 1-minute session and a 5-minute session, my correct copy percentage averages about the same.

Either way, no matter how you practice, it's a benefit.

Chris

P.S.  Let's get this forum more active, seems only a couple of posts a week are here.
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 05:31:47 PM »

Absolutely free, I will reveal my soon to be patented, top-secret formula for learning CW:

Try everything and if you find something that works for you, go with it.

Really, that sounds like a trite answer to a serious question but I personally had so much trouble learning code that I finally had to use a combination of methods to get it down (which I did, finally).  So, if you think you are making progress with those one minute practice sessions instead of the five minutes somebody else found useful, who cares?  If it improves your speed, keep at it.

If you like Koch, you might also want to try having a look at NuMorse Pro.  It does Koch, has the same noise features (and then some), and can go up to 50 WPM.  I also has a feature that drills you based on your last session's wrong answers so if you are rusty on just a few areas, like numbers, it will focus you on that next practice.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2002, 07:35:56 PM »

I would go to this site and then load in all 46 numbers, prosigns and letters and do 5 minute quick test, use the other program to score your self...free too

go to  http://www.g4fon.co.uk/  and down load his free  soft ware.  there is also a program there you can use to type in on the computer and it scores for you too.  this is the koch method. you start with 2 characters at 20 wpm, thenlisten and copy for 5 minutes.  when you get 90% on the two, add one letter and go again.  when you have all of the 46 numbers, prosigns and letters learned, you know code at 20 wpm, which is useful, and you can pass the 5 wpm test in your sleep..  Ray has made this a great program  73  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: