Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritron AL-811 10 meter mod  (Read 6922 times)
KF6ODC

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »

Hi to all reading my Post. My question is as follows Im planning on doing this mod and was wondering if the 10 meter mod just consist of just snipping the green wire and where is the green wire at? I actually have never opened the Amp Up? Also is taking the lock off of the Band selector a choir or an easy Task? Will I have to retune anything internal ? Sorry for my Ignorance.. Best regards to you all and Please be easy on me......................Thanks.......... Wink
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »

Send or fax a copy of your license to Ameritron and they will send you the instructions on the modification.  I cannot answer here because I would be giving information away to people who do not have the privilege (especially CBers) to use the amp on that frequency range.

That's the proper way to do it.

Good luck DE Bert KA2UUP. 
KF6ODC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »

Thanks anyways, Totally understand about cbers. I just got PMED with the info. Good day to you Sir............. Grin
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:46:46 AM »

The mod is simple, snip the green wire coming out to ground near the 10M input coil.  Done
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:05:59 AM »

The mod is simple, snip the green wire coming out to ground near the 10M input coil.  Done

Lou i can't believe you said that to a open forum !!! Don't you understand that is top secret information that can not be found any where on the web,  Grin
National security has just been breached oh my God !!!!
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 09:15:59 AM »

A little history on mods...

Technically it was illegal to sell an amplifier that could be modified to work on ten meters or to help anyone, including a licensed Ham, modify any device in a way that violated type acceptance. Of course that would have excluded Hams from ever having an amp that worked on ten meters or could even be modified to work on ten meters.

The reason for that rule was people like Black Cat (Wauwasee), Siltronics, D and A, Golden Eagle, and a dozen others selling CB amps as "transmitters" or Ham band amps.

Heath, Ameritron, Dentron, and others had an understanding with the FCC that so long as they asked for a license and never sold amplifiers for export use in the USA, even through devious means or with a copy of a license, it would comply with the intent of that rule.

The reason Hams could buy ten meter kits, or obtain easy ten meter mods, was really because of promises and mutual understanding to carefully control acccess to those mods. The FCC opinion was that was OK to proceed this way unless it became a problem and amplifiers started showing up on 11 meters, in which case ALL HF amplifiers would have to be manufactured in a way nearly impossible to modify to move above 22 MHz, and no support could ever be given to undo that.

M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »

I cannot believe CB amps were that much of a problem!

They never were over here, but I suppose our CBs are FM, which is possibly a little harder to screw up amplifier wise then a amp required to be linear is. CB amps never really caught on here as when the other guy is running 4W, what is the point in a 20dB higher power output if it just means that you cannot hear HIM (Yea there were a few folks running a few hundred W, but as long as it was clean, who cares?).

It does seem rather like a hiding to nothing to try and stop an amp working on 10M, particularly with solid state amps which tend to be inherently broadband. I mean you could add a trap, or program a micro to pull the bias if drive was detected in the wrong place, but both are kind of trivial to undo. 

Last I checked, toroids, power fets and caps were available to anyone, so if I want an amp on 11M for some godforsaken reason, it is not a problem even if I could not buy off the shelf.

Regards, Dan.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »

The FCC regulations were a tool to fine manufacturers and/or impose jail time who were in the business of selling CB amps. There were more CB amps sold in the USA than Ham amps.
W8FU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »

Tom, I may be wrong but I seem to recall reading some time ago that the FCC had relaxed or eliminated the rule regarding the  manufacture of 10 m ready amplifiers. I do know that I purchased an HF 2500 Commander (Palstar version} about a year ago  which came ready for 10 m with no modification required. Although I have not tried it on 10 m I have no reason to believe it would not work.

By the way, how have you been? It's been a long time since we last spoke. Did you ever get up your monster HF array? As I recall it was delayed because the fellow that was going to help tended to show up in an intoxicated state. We miss you up here.

Bruce-W8FU
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 06:33:11 AM »

Tom, I may be wrong but I seem to recall reading some time ago that the FCC had relaxed or eliminated the rule regarding the  manufacture of 10 m ready amplifiers. I do know that I purchased an HF 2500 Commander (Palstar version} about a year ago  which came ready for 10 m with no modification required. Although I have not tried it on 10 m I have no reason to believe it would not work.

By the way, how have you been? It's been a long time since we last spoke. Did you ever get up your monster HF array? As I recall it was delayed because the fellow that was going to help tended to show up in an intoxicated state. We miss you up here.

Bruce-W8FU

Hi Bruce,

Rules recently changed to allow 10 meter operation if the amp locks out at 26.99999. This means the amp must contoin some sort of frequency determining device that can even read SSB, and that is pretty tough. I'm working on doing that reliably now.

The problem with changing amps is they all have to be re-certified for the change. Under the old TA number it has to stay the same.

You should find a new TA filing number or modification from the past TA if they complied.

73 Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: