Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't quite get CW...Need help  (Read 1407 times)
WA8YIH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2003, 09:34:28 PM »

Practice Practice Practice .......and more practice!

A regiment of Code Quick and copying W1AW worked for me.  Like everyone else that used code quick, I learned the basics very fast.  After 5 days of using code quick I was able to pass my 5 WPM (many of the exercises made me feel like a Dork, but I did them anyway!).  Within two months I passed my 13 WPM.  I could not have passed the 13 WPM if I had not practiced using the W1AW broadcast.  Nothing like a little QRM and QRN to make your ears squint!  In my area, I have the best luck listening to the 40-meter (7.0475) broadcast.

The MFJ Morse Tutor works okay and it is a little pricey.  I took it to work with some headphones and practiced at lunch.

Take the time to find a "real" qso in progress.  Try to copy the entire conversation.  It is more difficult when the tones are different, or character spacing is different.  Many times the band is noisy making it diffucult to copy, but that is the real world of CW!

Enjoy CW.  I always said that I would never learn it, but I did and I am very glad I did.  I am not very good at it, however, I have lots of fun!

73 and best of luck,
WA8YIH
VE9KAR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2003, 05:14:59 PM »

Jason, Stay with it, I'm just about to test for my CW and have been training using the G4F0N program, Its Great, I tried Nu Morse, but G4FON is much easier, I set character speed to 15, and word speed to 5, I can now copy 95-100% at that speed, Last night I moved up to 7WPM, and was copying about 85%, I also practice with a straight key, it helps as well,My goal before I test is solid copy at 10 wpm with character speed at 15wpm.(the test in Canada is character speed 12wpm/actual speed 5wpm) But don't forget, after you can copy fairly well on the computer, get a receiver and try to copy "real" code on the air, its much tougher. I'm learning CW because it fascinates me, not just to talk on phone. So I want to get up to a speed where I can have a reasonable QSO on the air.
Good Luck
VE9KAR, Kent
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: