Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auckland / Campbell Islands  (Read 6110 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »

I'm always surprised that many DX-peditions that go to Oceania seem to always pass this entity up - in favor of others that are activated more than once every year. Wikipedia says:

"Currently the islands have no inhabitants, although scientists visit regularly and the authorities allow limited tourism on Enderby Island and Auckland Island."

It seems like it would actually be easier to get to than many of the islands that DX-peds travel to in that part of the world.

Anyone know why this is so?

Rich
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:10:19 PM »

Even ZL9CI  1999 apparently had trouble getting permission for a DXpedition.

I wouldn't be surprised if "limited" tourism is something like "you can take a boat there, cruise around the islands, and possibly go ashore for a few hours if the weather is great, at the discretion of and under the tight supervision of a licensed tour company."

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »

My DX mentor thinks there are a set of islands that will never be visited again due to "environmental concerns".

I'm on the fence about that - I thought Desecheo would never be visited again, but with time, things change.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »

My DX mentor thinks there are a set of islands that will never be visited again due to "environmental concerns".

Oh good grief!....What, are they afraid that a dxpedition may harm a twig or a fiddler crab or something?Huh....Better alert Al Gore on that one!....What a CROCK!!!!......

V
KA3NRX

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 12:34:40 AM »

Oh good grief!....What, are they afraid that a dxpedition may harm a twig or a fiddler crab or something?Huh....Better alert Al Gore on that one!....What a CROCK!!!!......

V
KA3NRX

So you can pronounce it "a crock" with absolutely no idea what "environmental concerns" might be involved?

Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. (Lincoln)
N5AQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »

I understand why they can't leave anything on the island when they leave, but "can't stay overnight?, No antennas in or near the water?  can't walk on the beach?.  Can you say ignorant tree-hugging bureaucrat?  Against stupidity, even the gods fight in vain.  (old German proverb)
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »

Before the current PT0S operation the Brazilian government had said there would be no further operation from St. Peter & Paul Rocks and that was just a few months ago:

http://dx-world.net/2012/st-peter-and-st-paul-future-dxpeditions-prohibited/

As you can see, things change. All it takes sometimes is the right person making the right contacts and what we thought could never be is suddenly on the DX Calendar.

John K7KB

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »

North Korea has tours available, that doesn't mean you can operate from there.

Tourism and ham radio are two different things.

One of the big challenges with Campbell is that no overnight stays are allowed. This means little to no chance of low band contacts.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »

Even if they were to stay overnight, 80 and 160M would not be very easy to work from anywhere in the US - except maybe Hawaii.

Check out all of the US cities VOACAP charts - with the block out times on:

http://ky6r.wordpress.com/

It will be summer there and winter in the northern hemisphere - this makes 80 and 160M challenging. Even 40M would be difficult for the Northeast. 30M and up are fine though, in fact, the higher the band the better (if predicted conditions happen).

As far as comparing this to PT0S, in North America it won't be nearly as bad. PT0S is experiencing equally strong signals from NA, SA and EU - meaning that has to be the absolute most fierce competition possible.

If you compare all of the charts I posted - and then look at DX Atlas and see when EU has a daylight path to ZL9HR - you will see that this is going to be a very different situation than what we are seeing with PT0S.

And remember, the high bands are closing earlier during our winter.

Plan your bands and antenna strategies accordingly!

Rich
KY6R

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:13:51 PM by KY6R » Logged
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »

I understand why they can't leave anything on the island when they leave, but "can't stay overnight?, No antennas in or near the water?  can't walk on the beach?.  Can you say ignorant tree-hugging bureaucrat?  Against stupidity, even the gods fight in vain.  (old German proverb)

It's been my experience that many people display their ignorance by expressing strong opinions on matters about which they have no first-hand knowledge or expertise.

A prudent man concealeth knowledge: but the heart of fools proclaimeth foolishness. (Proverbs 12:23)

After posting, I see that AA6YQ already covered this ground. To continue the theme, it seems he was casting pearls.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:14:36 PM by WS3N » Logged
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »

I understand why they can't leave anything on the island when they leave, but "can't stay overnight?, No antennas in or near the water?  can't walk on the beach?.  Can you say ignorant tree-hugging bureaucrat?  Against stupidity, even the gods fight in vain.  (old German proverb)

Well it's their (New Zealand's) country and their island. They make the rules, not us.
K6IPM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »

Its my feeling that as amateur radio operators we are fortunate to at least have the opportunity to work some of these entities.  Yes, there may be restrictions but usually those are for the good of preserving the environment, animals and birds, etc..  None the less it will be a wonderful opportunity for everyone to get involved and work this rare entity.

Good DXing to all of the radio amateurs around the world.

73 de Alan, K6IPM
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 03:35:13 AM »

I think there are 9 US DXCC entities that in theory could never be activated again (until they are).

KH1
KH3
KH4
KH7K
KH9
KH5
KH5K
KP1
KP5

One more somewhere around the world and it would be impossible to obtain DXCC Honor Roll if you were just starting out.  Huh
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 03:51:28 AM »

I think there are 9 US DXCC entities that in theory could never be activated again (until they are).

KH1
KH3
KH4
KH7K
KH9
KH5
KH5K
KP1
KP5

One more somewhere around the world and it would be impossible to obtain DXCC Honor Roll if you were just starting out.  Huh

Its funny, I have been thinking this exact same thing lately.

12 years ago, when I submitted my first DXCC application to my card checker - N6OJ, Chuck said he worried about my chances for #1 Honor Roll given all of the "environmental concerns".

I now understand what he was saying - but things can change. I don't think there are any DXCC rules regarding environmental concerns - and maybe its time?

Some of these will still be activated - I would bet that KP1 will be activated - still on the heels of K5D. Some of the other Pacific islands will be activated - Kure might be activated in the next year or so. I'm not sure why some are totally off limits and others not . . . .

I just found out that Kingman Reef is pretty much just waiting for the Navy to finally sign a document for transfer of control to be handed 100% over to the US F&W, and when it does - it should be deleted. This entity has been in this limbo state for 12 years now.

Then it hit me - if an entity is in a pristine ecosystem - like Kingman Reef - and if there is so much resistance to make it basically off limits - then I think the ARRL DXCC program really needs to delete it. Why not just let a pristine ecosystem be?

I do think we have to look at each entity one at a time - each seems to have their own certain circumstances.

We have added (net) 5 new ATNO's since 2001 - I don't think deleting Kingman Reef will hurt anything. The world keeps changing and political changes have brought us far more new entities on the list than what are deleted.

As for Kingman Reef - there have been three groups who have tried to activate it since 2001 - and all pretty much denied. Even the K5K activation back in 2000 required a lawyer at the last minute to make it happen. Its basically been off limits.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:59:16 AM by KY6R » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 07:24:07 AM »

Things have changed since many of the islands were added on the DXCC list. Many, if not most, had military bases or posts operational as a result of WW2 and the Cold War. Now these places are left with no human activity and we as a country are deciding these are nature areas to be kept as pristine as possible.

Personally I think radio amateurs can live up to strict requirements. Remember K4T in the Dry Tortugas - they operated 100% green. Just because you don't have an amp doesn't mean you can't operate. Remember "No More Mr. Kilowatt" from the Micro-lite group. The K4T group was required to use 100% green power and leave no footprint.
It might not generate 200,000 QSOs but make the antennas do the work, both RX and TX.

On the other hand if there is no way possible (and I don't have a problem at all designating these areas to as wildlife reserves and to try to keep them as pristine as possible) for the foreseeable future to operate from these places - then I think the DXAC  needs to take a look at this. I kind of agree with Vince - maybe someone has to actually live there for a period of time during the year to be on the DXCC list. A military base or some government station or weather station or something. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: