Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packet Software for Win 7 Starter  (Read 4279 times)
KC7CJO

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »

I have a "Netbook" with Windows 7 Starter on it and have been told that because it only has 1 Gb RAM, it won't run a full version of Win 7.

I bought this computer to use as a Packet station and was wondering if anyone knows of any Packet software that will work with this computer?

I have an MFJ-1270C TNC and would very much like to get this thing on the air with my netbook.

Anyway useful suggestions are welcome!

Please reply to my email address:  kc7cjo@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Rod
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 07:10:54 PM »

I know of no reason why the venerable yet capable UI-VIEW32 (www.ui-view.org) should not work on your system.  Much older hardware (and Windows versions) have run UI-VIEW and UI-VIEW32 admirably.
N1EN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »

For packet messaging, Outpost seems like a fairly efficient program likely to run well on a netbook.

If you're looking just for realtime PKT exchanges, you might try grabbing copies of MultiPSK and MixW to see if they meet your needs.  (Note: MixW is not free, if you use it past the demo period.)  Not sure how resource intensive either program actually is, but I suspect given their longevity they'll be fine.

For APRS -- I agree that UI-View would probably run fine.  I personally prefer APRSIS32, which I suspect might work on a Netbook, but I'm not sure.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:18:25 AM »

You are not stuck with Win 7 Starter. It's a cheaper version that's shipped on some Netbooks. But you could upgrade to another version of Win 7. I just double checked the men requirments and the min men required is 1GB.

KA6MLE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:22:23 AM »

Are you wanting it for regular Packet Radio, Winlink or APRS?

I use WINPACK on an old Win 98 computer, just for dinking around on the packet digipeaters. I use Airmail for Winlink.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: