Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternate mic for Icom 7000  (Read 2322 times)
W8ATA

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »

I just picked up an Icom 7000 with the stock HM-151 mic. Before I decide to have the AB5N mods done to it, any advice from experience on an alternate mic?  It will be used in the shack, not mobile.

73 and thanks,

Russ
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »

The SM 20 is a nice desk microphone and works well with the 7000 in a base station
environment. But, the HM-151 works just as well. And before having the modes done
to it, I would suggest you try the radio out first with the mic stock. The later manufactured
HM-151 mic's do not need the AB5N modes. And I have seen some of the older ones that
it did not make any difference. So, before sending the microphone off , I would test it first.
You might find it does just fine as it is.
james
WD5GWY

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »

When QST tested the IC-7000 (this was before the "new" microphones were introduced, they found that the transmit audio was distorted unless the TX Bandwidth was set to WIDE.  With WIDE, everything was OK.   

Heil's "iC" electret mics gets generally good reviews, as an alternative to the HM-151.

Charles
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »

I have an Icom 7000 for a back up radio and use a Heil iCM desk mic which works very well with the 7000.
VK6NDT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 06:52:21 AM »

The SM 20 is a nice desk microphone and works well with the 7000 in a base station
environment. But, the HM-151 works just as well. And before having the modes done
to it, I would suggest you try the radio out first with the mic stock. The later manufactured
HM-151 mic's do not need the AB5N modes. And I have seen some of the older ones that
it did not make any difference. So, before sending the microphone off , I would test it first.
You might find it does just fine as it is.
james
WD5GWY

Iv got a brand new 7000 (less then 2mths old)  and the HM-151 is very average, no different to the original. you would think that after this many yrs of production but it doesnt seem to be the case.
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:56:10 AM »

Hi,

There is a problem with the IC7000 DSP processing in the audio chain if you set the TX audio bandwidth too narrow. Leave the TX DSP set on maximum bandwidth.

Some voice characteristics and microphone responses just don't suit the radio. I think this is because ICOM chose to remove the equalisation functionality from the IC7000 so that it wasn't comparable to the Pro III.

Almost any electret insert will work, but those with a 'Telephone' or 'Noise cancelling' characteristic from 300Hz to 5 or 6KHz seem to behave the best.

You can usually trigger DSP 'ringing' by making a 'clicking' noise into the microphone with your tongue and the roof of your mouth. Listen on another radio and choose a microphone which produces the least DSP artifacts.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:18:08 AM »

I tend to agree with Martin, however...

As a rule, an electrec condenser element's response is almost flat from 50 Hz, to well over 15 kHz. The real issue is how they are used. Far to many users hold the microphone to far away, and turn up the microphone gain to compensate. I use a 7000 mobile. The microphone gain is set at 7%, and the microphone is less than an inch from my face. So used, the default setting (mid) is just fine for most users. The wide position works for the rest I suspect.

W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »

Many thanks to all of you who objectively replied with things to consider and try. Too often someone posts a question and fails in being heard from again.  I believe in gratitude when someone tries to help me. I'll have fun with trying out my 7000. It's not too late at 76 to try new things.

73 and peace,

Russ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: