Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: C.E.R.T. Member and His 208H  (Read 9976 times)
N6HPO

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:46:29 AM »

Hi All,

I've just sent an email to ICOM; until I get a reply, don't know where else but here to turn...

As a member of a local C.E.R.T. group, I'm in the process of programming my IC 208H with local, state and federal frequencies; almost all are for fire
related agencies. I'm using my rig for a base unit currently.

While programming the rig today with the ICOM software, I found that I could not program 151.2725 (AM), but had NO problem programming 151.2875 (AM)!

I have tried all of the "steps" from 5Kc through 200Kc without success. The software will not permit this particular "four digit" frequency to be programmed. Why?

I've spoken with a fellow owner about this matter. He said to "go ahead and program "151.2725". The software will convert it to "151.275"; the display does not matter." If that were the case, why would the software permit the "2875", but not the "2725", just 150 Kc away?

Why display one and not the other??

Is there something I'm missing?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply!

Alan...N6HPO
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »

While I can't answer your particular question, I will ask if you are doing this simply to monitor the frequencies or do you plan on transmitting on them?

If all you are going to do is monitor, you will be OK. HOWEVER, if you plan on transmitting you will be operating illegally. You cannot legally use a modified amateur radio on any other service (except MARS, with a MARS-issued license), no matter what noble purpose you have in mind or who you have permission from. Additionally, if you are doing this from a fixed, home station (as you indicate) you will be operating an unlicensed base station on public safety frequencies, which is also illegal.

Both of these situations can cause the FCC to not only prosecute you for the illegal operation, but to also permanently cancel your amateur license. One additional consequence is, if the fire department and other agencies involved give you permission to do this, they run the risk of having the FCC cancel their licenses, as well.

I am not trying to dump on you, just make you aware of legalities of which you may be unfamiliar. If you need to transmit on PS frequencies, buy a radio FCC approved for such operation. Virtually every hamfest will have such radios, used, and at affordable prices.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:01:34 PM by W3LK » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:11:03 AM »

I'm a little confused. Some of the things in the original post don't add up...

I'm pretty sure that it's a safe bet the 208 won't transmit out-of-band (without some serious hacking) so I'll assume this is just to monitor.

I'm surprised that you have the signal as AM. I thought for sure that all of the VHF-Hi stations were FM. The only VHF-AM signals (besides Hams) are in the Air band (108-137 MHz). So you might double check that.

Assuming that the freq you want is 151.2725, that would be a 12.5 KHz step, which might explain some of your trouble. It also looks like your math is off by a decimal place: 151.2875 is 15 KHz higher, not 150 KHz higher. This could also add to the confusion.

BTW: 151.2725 MHz = 151,272.500 KHz = 151,272,500 Hz.

I'm guessing that if you program your radio for 151.275 (a 25 KHz step), it's bandwidth is wide enough to capture the signal, perhaps at a slightly lower signal strength than if it were tuned 2.5 Hhz lower.

I think the newer VHF channels are configured for the narrower (2.5 KHz) bandwidth and (12.5 KHz) channel spacing to comply with the new Land Mobile (Part 90) regulations.

It looks like the 208 should be able to do 12.5 KHz channel spacing (step) and narrow-bandwidth modulation, so you might try those settings when you program your radio.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:42:27 AM »

Yes, the 208 can be modified to transmit outside the amateur bands.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 12:19:25 PM »

AM?Huh? That takes a whole different modulator section.  What's on AM in the VHF high range?  One of these days a "hacked by an amateur" radio is going to end up on the aircraft band or on the Coast Guard working freqs and we will all suffer with new imposed by a bureaucrat regulations. 
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 01:02:39 PM »

AM?Huh? That takes a whole different modulator section.  What's on AM in the VHF high range?  One of these days a "hacked by an amateur" radio is going to end up on the aircraft band or on the Coast Guard working freqs and we will all suffer with new imposed by a bureaucrat regulations. 

No doubt.  I notice the OP has disappeared.

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »

You can communicate on any frequency in an "emergency" to save life and property!  Wink
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:43:56 AM »

Yes,  you can communicate on any frequency to save a life.  You can shoot someone to save a life, too,  but you may not be happy with the followup legal response.    The real problem is most hams don't have a clue what constitutes a real life threatening emergency.

Ed   K7AAT
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »

You can communicate on any frequency in an "emergency" to save life and property!  Wink

Sounds nice in theory, but the OP appears to be talking about day-to-day operations.

K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 09:10:36 PM »

I don't see anything in the original post that indicated he wanted to transmit. Just that he wanted to program the frequencies.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »

Original Poster:  " I'm using my rig for a base unit currently. "     

. . . .   Sure looks like transmit is intended, to me.

Ed   K7AAT
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 06:21:59 AM »

This is probably who he is trying to listen to:
http://forums.radioreference.com/california-radio-discussion-forum/216586-calfire-air-tac-question.html

As to transmitting out of band, I would tend to agree that is his main objective.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »

No doubt.  I notice the OP has disappeared.

No surprise here. He picked the wrong website to get advice.  Grin
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 07:07:06 AM »

Silly me. I thought people were innocent until PROVEN guilty. Not just because they left in disgust from the response they got for asking a question. CERT people listening in on public service frequencies? Like that never happens?

I suppose if the OP had signed his name "2600Hackr" or something, there might be a little more cause to raise an eyebrow, but a Ham who signs with his callsign and name from his Ham account?

And then to compare an out-of-band transmission with shooting someone?

Seriously?

Besides, consider the worst-case scenario. Let's say that someone does want to program his or her radio to transmit on all the public service frequencies (after they've posted their callsign to a public forum). Why would a Ham care? An out-of-band transmission, by definition, won't have much (if any) effect on the Ham bands. If someone wants to get the police, fire, and national guard mad at them, it seems to me that those agencies are more than capable of taking care of the problem.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 08:01:36 AM »

The OP asked a question.

He was asked a question back and given some information it was possible he didn't know. At no point did the OP return and answer the simple question asked. At no point did I accuse him of doing anything illegal. All else followed the assumption (true or not) that he has looking to do something that the FCC doesn't allow. All he had to do to end the discussion was to say "All I want to do is listen." That would have quickly ended the discussion.

As to why it matters to hams where the OP transmits, any time a ham gets caught doing something illegal, it makes all of us look bad. It's a shame that simple fact doesn't seem to sink in to some hams. But from some of the postings on eHam, there are a lot of hams who don't give a d*** about the rules.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:09:52 AM by W3LK » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: