The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NIMH batteries and charger  (Read 728 times)
N3AIN

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2017, 11:00:39 AM »

I'm planning to buy AA batteries for my C Crane Skywave portable shortwave radio, and D batteries for the C Crane AM FM EP radio. I have a charger from 1984. Long before smart chargers came out that I've been using to charge these type of batteries. But in my research, I read that you can over charge these kind of batteries if you don't use a smart charger. Is this true, or just a sales pitch. Do I need a new charger? or can I charge NIMH batteries with this one without herting them. Thanks. 73. Joe.
If this post should be in MISC instead of where it is, please let me know. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:05:19 AM by N3AIN » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »

If your old NiCad charger was a trickle charger, then chances are it'll work with the NiMH batteries fine.

If you had a "fast" or "smart" NiCad charger it won't work well with NiMH. There are lots of new NiMH chargers out there that are much better than the old NiCad fast chargers.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:01:10 PM »

there are different charge profiles for NiCd, NiMH, and Li-ion batteries (as well as lead-acid.) so yes, you need the correct charger.  our clever offshore friends make them cheap, and I have had decent luck with the store brand of Menards in NiMH, held up better than some branded batteries in a dual-profile Eveready charger that fills a lot more desk space.

they can all blow up under extreme circumstances.  I tossed an old iPod battery into a bonfire one fine day to see how bad it is, with all the ends pointed right angles away from me.  yeah, it's bad, and it stunk up the whole backyard for a day.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 05:55:17 AM »

Whats your budget?
And NimH are probably a good choice with the proper charger.

-Mike.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 06:30:05 AM »

there are different charge profiles for NiCd, NiMH,

The main difference is that NiMH has a slightly higher fully charger voltage and slightly higher charging voltage. I would not be concerned at all.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: