Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone spell anymore??  (Read 14612 times)
KA5N

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:39:12 AM »

You see it every day on eHam posts with incorrectly spelled words, incorrect usage and wrong choice of words.
 You lose power you do not "loose" power.  Your amp may arc but I doubt that it "archs"
(my cat's back arches).     To, too, and two, chose one and most of the time it is the wrong one.  Same thing with there, they're, and thier. 

Of course it isn't just hams nor eHam.  I see the same thing on most forums and my e-mail
is smitten much of the time. 

Is it just carelessness or is the average person so unschooled that he doesn't know that he
has made a dozen mistakes in a post? 

I am past the age where I could do anything about the general level of education indicated
by this misuse of words and spelling even if I knew what to do.

Does this disturb you??

73 Allen
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:06:07 AM »

No. 

I am in control of my joy, not others.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »

Yeah, It disturbs me--but most of the time I just let it go by.  Schools today aren't what they were even ten years ago, never mind twenty or thirty.  (Or 40, in my case!)  Spelling isn't a subject taught anymore--it's more of a hit and miss subject.  In the same way, some people out there can't count well enough to make change--they've got to have a cash register tell them how much to give back!  This country has gone down the sh*tter--in more ways than just one.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:25:39 PM by K1CJS » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:48 AM »

Proper spelling and grammar seems to be a lost art.  Perhaps this occurred when our public schools adopted phonetic spelling in the place of memorization.  I don't understand why some would not expect more of themselves, or at least use the "Spell Check" button!
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »

Hoo-boy, this really hits home with me.  Not that I'm immune to spelling errors...

My pet peeve is the incorrect usages of there, their, and they're.  Drives me up the wall.

You figure with the perceived intelligence level of hams their spelling might be better.  Good luck.

Bill in Pasadena, NK6Q
Amateur Grammarian

By the way, Spell-check wouldn't be able to distinguish the correct usage of "their, there, and they're" anyway.  It's grammar.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:07:18 AM by NK6Q » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:27:18 AM »

Yeah, It disturbs me--but most of the time I just let it go by.  Schools today aren't what they were even ten years ago, never mind twenty or thirty.  (Or 40, in my case!)  Spelling isn't a subject taught anymore--it's more of a hit and miss subject.  In the same way, some epople out there can't count well enough to make change--they've got to have a cash register tell them how much to give back!  This country has gone down the sh*tter--in more ways than just one.

Sorry but could help myself from pointing this one out  Wink  I make my share of typo's too Smiley

On topic, I really love the ones that have ALL CAPS, all lower case and/or no punctuation at all. I usually give up on those if they are over 2 lines long as they give me a headache to try and read. 

There is one guy on eHam (call withheld) that will use all lower case and puts his call at the end of each thought or paragraph (even though he doesn't start a new paragraph) and then starts another thought without any punctuation or new line. He then will repeat the process as if he was giving his call on a handover during a QSO on the radio.  Really a hoot to read. I wonder if he talks that way in person too.

Gene

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:33:41 AM »

Ever since the invention of the keyboard, people cant write anymore either. (-:

KC2VDM
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »

Yes it bothers me, but it's way beyond just what you see on the net.  I see it everyday in correspondence from folks that should know how to spell, such as folks employed in the legal and medical fields.  Nevertheless, I credit this as one of the downsides to the computer age.  People do not have to go through the exercise of spelling correctly, when a spell check program is only a finger tip away. Use it or lose it, and we definitely are losing it as time goes along.

It's the same thing trying to get folks to calculate how much change to give from a cash purchase.  You will find nearly the same issue.  Last year I was at my local family owned hardware store purchasing a few nuts and bolts.  While in line, the cash register malfunctioned.  I thought the cashier was going to have a cow when the customer stated he was paying cash, and suggested that she manually calculate change for his purchase.  She couldn't perform this function in her head, she had to go somewhere in the store, and come back with a calculator before she could complete the transaction.

I suspect this trend will continue.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »

Please don't go off with the conclusion that this phenomena is confined to the US.

My problem is the typos that I miss - such as 'teh' for 'the'. I'm sure the old fashioned secretaries on their Remingtons were far better typists that most people today. They didn't keep hitting the a key instead of the S, for example.

But to really screw your spelling, use the European AZERTY keyboard rather than the QWERTY...

One I was taught at school many years ago is the differentiation between  'wether' and 'whether'...
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 01:32:17 PM »

R u `sayin I can`t spel correctlie?....... Cheesy The problem is many don`t read enough at a young age. If they did it would make quite a difference. It really isn`t that difficult either. If it was calculus,that I would understand. It`s not exactly rocket science. I wouldn`t want to fill out a job application with poor grammar.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »

Everyone should no reeding, wrighting, and rithmatick. You lurned it in skool  Grin
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 03:40:01 PM »

Don't get me started on this subject.

And then there are the ones who seem to revel in their illiteracy ...

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:28:59 PM »

Yeah, It disturbs me--but most of the time I just let it go by.  Schools today aren't what they were even ten years ago, never mind twenty or thirty.  (Or 40, in my case!)  Spelling isn't a subject taught anymore--it's more of a hit and miss subject.  In the same way, some epople out there can't count well enough to make change--they've got to have a cash register tell them how much to give back!  This country has gone down the sh*tter--in more ways than just one.

Sorry but could help myself from pointing this one out  Wink  I make my share of typo's too Smiley

On topic, I really love the ones that have ALL CAPS, all lower case and/or no punctuation at all. I usually give up on those if they are over 2 lines long as they give me a headache to try and read.  

There is one guy on eHam (call withheld) that will use all lower case and puts his call at the end of each thought or paragraph (even though he doesn't start a new paragraph) and then starts another thought without any punctuation or new line. He then will repeat the process as if he was giving his call on a handover during a QSO on the radio.  Really a hoot to read. I wonder if he talks that way in person too.

Gene

Yeah, I saw it when I came back to see the replies--before I saw your post.  I can laugh at myself too!   Grin

At least it WAS a typo.  All too often the incorrect spelling seen here--AND the grammatical errors--aren't typos.  It is really sad that the intelligence level has sunken so low.

Added--Another thing that really gets hard to follow is when people don't punctuate, don't punctuate correctly, or put their thoughts down in one rambling, run on sentence--or at least appears to be a sentence.  I pass those over just because reading them gives me a headache!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:33:45 PM by K1CJS » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »

Yes it bothers me, but it's way beyond just what you see on the net.  I see it everyday in correspondence from folks that should know how to spell, such as folks employed in the legal and medical fields....  

I've got one that is even worse--newspapers and newspaper/television news websites.  It makes one wonder if these companies employ proofreaders anymore--or if the budget just doesn't cover that position!
N1EQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »

Can anyone spell the full chemical name of the protein Titin?  Smiley

http://www.sarahmcculloch.com/luminaryuprise/longest-word.php
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: