Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone spell anymore??  (Read 15557 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 05:51:58 AM »

I do not lose any sleep over anyones improper grammar or spelling,I am intelligent enough to figure out the main point of any eHam post.

73 Gym  (sorry) Jim   
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2011, 07:13:28 AM »

I do not lose any sleep over anyones improper grammar or spelling,I am intelligent enough to figure out the main point of any eHam post.

73 Gym  (sorry) Jim   

That's great.  But I like the Mark Twain story about the old German man (German having an awkward sentence structure)  who died in the middle of a sentence and they could never figure out what he was talking about.
Allen   
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 01:30:37 AM »

Does this disturb you??
73 Allen

IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!
That person's credibility just went out the window!  AND, it makes me ashamed to admit that I am an American when people can't even speak and/or write their own native language.  
Sadly, its not just the "average Joe" that writes that way; there's an EE on another board whose posts take two and three readings to decipher. Are "General Education" courses no longer required in college?  They sure were when I went to school!  
On top of that, hams who write that way are bad enough but when JOURNALISTS consistently make the same kinds of mistakes, for me, that's just over the top.  I just have to shut off the stupid computer and go do something else 'till I "get over it".
By the way, you omitted my "favorite" in your examples!  Adding an apostrophe before EVERY "S" in a sentence.
Finally, for those that believe that this "disease" is of little or no consequence; you are sadly mistaken!  It is a, not so subtle, indicator of the SAD state of education in our once-great country.
Tom DGN
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:34:32 AM by WB6DGN » Logged
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 06:32:49 AM »

What's needed is balance between the extremes. I think one way to achieve that is by setting a good example.

Ha.. not to be confused with balunce, ballence or balinse (or even baluns).

Agreed. 100%. Maybe 110%.

- Chris
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »

My point was simply that there's a lot that wasn't taught in school 40+ years ago. I learned how to use a ruler without a formal class in it.

Also, we don't have "an educational system" in the USA. We have hundreds of local systems which range from world-class excellent to just-plain-awful. The results we get vary just as widely.

73 de Jim, N2EY

We did have a "formal" class on it.  Very early in grade school at the time we bought one along with pencils and paper.

As for "not having an educational system in the USA, you're absolutely correct!  This is my point....why people joining the work force can't read well, can't count and CAN'T READ A RULER!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »

I learned how to use a ruler without a formal class in it. 

No, no 'formal' class, but it was a part of arithmetic.  I remember being taught how to read a ruler while being taught fractions.  The two complemented each other--it was easier to comprehend 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and so on if you actually saw a representation of it.
KF7GFL

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »

One of my favorite quotes:

"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." —Mark Twain

Matt - KF7GFL
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »

If you want to see the difference that capitilisation of words makes, look at:

Roy helped his Uncle Jack off his horse.

and

Roy helped his uncle jack off his horse.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »

We didn't really need the second example, G3RZP. I'm sure most people saw it coming.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »

One that seems common on eham.net is 'tunning'.

Surely they must have come across 'tuning' when they took the 'vote for Joe' exam?

That is great!! Love the 'Vote for Joe' exam bit. I'm going to have to remember that one for use when cutting down new hams Wink

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2011, 04:09:52 AM »

5DQ:

Ever since they introduced multiple choice over here - well over 20 years ago - it has been widely referred to as a 'vote for Joe' exam.

You can tell I took an old fashioned exam......
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2011, 02:25:54 PM »

Never heard it called that but understood what you meant. No slam towards the new testers, but I too took the 'write your answer, show your work' tests back eons ago as a teenager.

How's things over the pond? Been many years since I use to travel regularly to the Plessey, later GEC Marconi works down at Plymouth and the Rolls Royce Aircraft factory in Bath, England.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 04:19:47 PM »

You see it every day on eHam posts with incorrectly spelled words, incorrect usage and wrong choice of words.
 You lose power you do not "loose" power.  Your amp may arc but I doubt that it "archs"
(my cat's back arches).     To, too, and two, chose one and most of the time it is the wrong one.  Same thing with there, they're, and thier. 

How about, "my dog past away".  It's passed away.   I also like "noone".  Noone, as in 12 O'clock?  It's  "no one" as in nobody.
I read posts in news forums such as Newsvine, and the grammar in there is horrible. 
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2011, 02:57:12 AM »

5DQ,

Do you mean the GEC-Plessey Semiconductors plant in Plymouth, or more accurately, Roborough?
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 05:37:22 PM »

5DQ,

Do you mean the GEC-Plessey Semiconductors plant in Plymouth, or more accurately, Roborough?

Back then it was called Plessey Electronics and then they were bought up by the Marconi Co and it became GEC-Marconi. Not sure what it is called now. They made some avionics equipment that we used here in the US. I was involved in software development program for the US version.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: