Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone spell anymore??  (Read 13560 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2011, 12:49:17 AM »

Not Plymouth but Portsmouth/Hayling Island/West Leigh.

Plessey Radar was on the Isle of Wight: headquarters at Ilford in east London. I worked at Plessey Semiconductors in Swindon, which became GEC Plessey, and then Mitel and now Zarlink, although the Swindon plant has been shut for some time.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »

5DQ:

Ever since they introduced multiple choice over here - well over 20 years ago - it has been widely referred to as a 'vote for Joe' exam.

Never heard of the 'vote for Joe' exam either.  However, I did hear of a blonde joke where two ladies were taking a multiple choice exam.  On lady, a blonde, was flipping and coin and then marking her exam answer.

When she finished she started doing it all over again and when the lady setting beside her asked what she was doing now, the blonde said, "Now I'm checking my answers!"

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2011, 10:24:56 AM »

Not Plymouth but Portsmouth/Hayling Island/West Leigh.

Plessey Radar was on the Isle of Wight: headquarters at Ilford in east London. I worked at Plessey Semiconductors in Swindon, which became GEC Plessey, and then Mitel and now Zarlink, although the Swindon plant has been shut for some time.

You're correct. It was Portsmouth. See it's been so long I have started to forget the where's and who's.  Embarrassed

I worked with the Plessey / GEC Marconi chaps on the engine performance monitoring avionics for the Rolls Royce F408 engine. Lots of fun time those many years ago.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2011, 11:17:49 AM »

Why cant yew all spel. I aint got no pensil to rite with too prktise. Shocked
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2011, 12:28:17 PM »

Here's a collection of misspellings from this very website (collected over the years).
The intended word with correct spelling is first, followed by what was posted.
Enjoy. 73, -WY3X

Convenient = convent
caribeaner = carabineer
Naive = nieve
frequencies = freqwuencies
Manual = MANULE
breeds = breads
Surprise = suprize
Generous = generious
Trooper = tropper
Tuner = tunner
Variable = varible
Vacuum = vacume
Transceiver = tranciever
Separate = seperate
Radio Shack = RAIDOSHACK
Channel = CHANNELL
Kenwood = KINWOOD
Bearcat = BARCAT
Paddle = PADDEL
Prefer = PERFER
Sell = SALE
(You don't "sale" somebody something, you "sell" it to them, i.e. you
sell something at your sale.)
Bought = BAUGHT
These = THEESE
Tuner = TRUNNER
VersaTuner = VERSATUNNER
Accept = EXCEPT CASH OR MONEY ORDER
Communications terminal = comunations termanel
Wireless = wirekess
This amp was taking out my truck about 6 month's ago. (Did they get married?)
Analyzer = analizer
mute point
amplifier = amplifer
holer = HOLLER
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »

To WY3X: Here are some more

Balun - balum, ballun
Lose (opposite of find) - loose

And of course the misuse of the apostrophe.

73 de Jim, N2EY
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »

Hi Jim,

I gave up collecting misspellings on this website some time ago. There's a new on here every day. It almost takes all the fun out of the collecting! Thanks for the reminders. I had one of the ones you had listed, but decided against posting it with the list. The other one I didn't have in my "collection", although I was aware of it. What's really funny is when someone says "balum" on the air! I think a lot of misspellings are caused by mispronunciation. Maybe we need to Webster's Dictionary to change the spelling of your and you're to "yore" and "yure" respectively to help people who have trouble with those words.  Cheesy

Thanks & 73, -Web (WY3X)
KD8NGE

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2011, 04:30:17 PM »

I do not lose any sleep over anyones improper grammar or spelling,I am intelligent enough to figure out the main point of any eHam post.

73 Gym  (sorry) Jim    

That's great.  But I like the Mark Twain story about the old German man (German having an awkward sentence structure)  who died in the middle of a sentence and they could never figure out what he was talking about.
Allen  

I can identify with the old German ... one of our old residenters, when the sun went down, would announce that it was time he went the hill up.
Even our beloved Wouff Houng, in its several spellings, came from a spelling error ... one too many muffed CW messages was its origin.
Oh, yes ... rulers ... Sufferin' Local School District never taught rulers.
Dear old Dad did.
Both the standard ruler, and the engineer's rule, graduated in tenths of a foot instead of fractions of an inch.
He taught us to read a micrometer as well.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:37:22 PM by KD8NGE » Logged
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2011, 05:51:23 PM »

This isn't a Spelling Bee, it is Ham Radio and it is a hobby, not a vocation or religion. Take your meds!  Grin
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2011, 08:08:17 PM »

I took my meds, but the fact still remains: many people can't spell, even if they're looking at the word on the front panel of their Yeasu, or Yasseu, or (my favorite) Yaseaeu.  Or Icon.

Or Varmit.  Which I feel like doing every time I see it.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »

Heard on PA system:

Cleanup in aisle 76840.60!  Tongue
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2011, 05:14:37 AM »

Hey, our own president can't spell or pronounce the work nuclear. It's nu-cle-ar not nucular. This is one of my main pet peeves. Really pathetic!!

I refuse deal with an individual who can't spell. I won't buy a duel band rig. I want to talk on it not fight with it.

My first language is not English, and you should be seriously embarrassed when I have to correct your spelling and grammar. 

I speek engrish goodly, no? Wink

Jaime-KA3NXN Grin
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2011, 05:59:20 AM »

Hey Jaime--Sorry, but I'm going to poke a little fun at you-- 

In the second line, did you mean you "I refuse TO deal with an individual who can't spell?"  Continuing, did you mean "I won't buy a DUAL (not duel) band rig?"

Again, sorry, but that was just irresistible!  73!   Grin
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »

Hey, our own president can't spell or pronounce the work nuclear. It's nu-cle-ar not nucular. This is one of my main pet peeves. Really pathetic!!

I refuse deal with an individual who can't spell. I won't buy a duel band rig. I want to talk on it not fight with it.

My first language is not English, and you should be seriously embarrassed when I have to correct your spelling and grammar. 

I speek engrish goodly, no? Wink

Jaime-KA3NXN Grin

Of course, some of the greatest writers in the English language had English as their second language: Vladimir Nabokov and Joseph Conrad (born J√≥zef Korzeniowski) to name just two.  I actually was in high school in Passaic, NJ back in the 60's with Christina Korzeniowski, the grand-niece of Joseph Conrad.

Bill in Pasadena
NK6Q
WX4O

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2011, 09:26:01 PM »

I notice it two, but I has to say I doan give a dang. Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: