Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MicroSoft's OneNote Office  (Read 2154 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:07:17 PM »

Somehow, this program has suddenly, within the past few weeks, keeps coming up automatically while I'm trying to do ham-radio stuff on this laptop.
I find it distracting and annoying.
I presume it came into the laptop by way of one of the updates that periodically show-up as being needed.
I'd like to stop its automatic start-up, so any ideas on how to do that would be appreciated.
73 Jerry KM3K
PS. OS is Vista.
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »

Jerry,

Do you use OneNote at all. If not then in Control Panel and Uninstall programs you can remove it from there or you can tell windows NOT to load it when windows starts.
For this you want to click on:
Windows Start button
click on Run and now type MSConfig and press the Enter Key
Click on Startup
Now Scroll thru the Startup Menu and when you find reference to OneNote un-check it.
Once that is done Click on Apply and then OK.
Now MSConfig will display another Window asking for either Restart or Exit without Restart. If you have any other program running just hit Exit and close those other programs. OneNote will not be disabled until a Windows Reboot is done.

Good Luck and 73 de Steve KB6HOH
               kb6hoh@comcast.net
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:18:39 PM »

Why is deleting or uninstalling always the solution? I have One Note on several machines in 2007 version. I have no problems with it ever popping up unexpected. Need to find cause here and either it is setup/configured wrong or some other app is calling it.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:33:33 AM »

John,

I am taking a wild guess he does not use or want OneNote. Only my guess!
NO he does not have to uninstall the program BUT can simply tell it NOT to load when Windows starts. By not having it load at startup, will help with keeping his System Resources free. Their is so much crap that loads when Windows starts, it will slow down a system especially if the PC came with bare minimal Memory. Keeping the resources low is the key. Anyway just my opinion as a Computer Tech. Also has alot to do with CPU speed, Page File size and soforth. If the program does not need to be ran at startup then turn if off.

73 de Steve KB6HOH
                                Former 9yr Tech with CompUSA
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 03:26:50 AM »

NO he does not have to uninstall the program BUT can simply tell it NOT to load when Windows starts.
Very perspective insight; you should run for political office. Hi Hi.
My problem is that I don't find OneNote in my "Start-up" stuff.
73 Jerry KM3K
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 05:24:36 AM »

NO he does not have to uninstall the program BUT can simply tell it NOT to load when Windows starts.
Very perspective insight; you should run for political office. Hi Hi.
My problem is that I don't find OneNote in my "Start-up" stuff.
73 Jerry KM3K

One Note is part of Office core files and you will not find it in startup folder. It will create a icon in toolbar and you can right click on it to access menu for it. Exactly what is it doing?

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: