Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need source for mag-mount antenna peel-and stick bottom backing  (Read 1870 times)
KU4UV

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2011, 07:54:08 PM »

Hello all,

I am in need of a source where I can find a replacement backing for the bottom of a mag-mount antenna.  I know there are companies out there that sell the replacement peel-and-stick backings for the mag-mount bottoms, as I have purchased some at Dayton in years past.  I am specifically in need of a 6 inch diameter backing.  Can anyone point me to a website where I might purchase one?  Thanks!

Mike KU4UV
ku4uv at arrl.net
N9ZVV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:35:19 PM »

I have used shelf paper before and that worked good.It is self adhesive and is cheap.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:17:54 AM »

I use the self sticking aluminum seal TAPE that is used for sealing rigid duct insulation.

The width is a bit to narrow for covering the larger mag mounts but the second small piece which overlaps the first is all that is needed.  It's very durable, seals well (assuming you clean the base edges very well) and doesn't seem to bother the paint on top of my vehicle. 
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »

You can buy teflon sheet with an adhesive back. There are multiple sources but here is one item on eBay;

I have no relationship with the seller.

(edit) One thing to add, on every mag-mount type antenna out there make sure that the painted surface on the vehicle and the base of the antenna is spotlessly clean before attaching an antenna. I screwed up a beautiful, lacquered finish on a Fiat one time when I slid a magnetic mount base off of the car.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:51:02 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »

You already have what you need somewhere in your kitchen- a piece of Cut-Rite or other brand of wax paper. Cut it to the desired size, place it on the (clean) car surface, and stick the mag mount on it. Added bonus- an extra coating of wax on that part of the car!
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 05:51:29 AM »

I have used a piece of a heavy duty trash bag in the past. Just spread it flat, put a generic 'stix-all' adhesive to the base of the antenna, and set it on the plastic. When it dries, trim it to size with a razor blade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: