Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vibroplex  (Read 761 times)
KA5AQP

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2003, 04:44:59 PM »

I have acquired a mint cindition Original Deluxe.  Two things I don't understand:  The nameplate has no address of the company and no patent dates.  The serial number is 50058 which would make it made in 1913 if you go by published serial number sequences.  The person I bought it from doesn't believe it to be that old and the appearance seems to confirm that.  Any Vibroplex experts out there with answers?
N2XE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2003, 08:33:32 AM »

Is the label riveted to the base?
KA5AQP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 10:13:58 AM »

No rivet heads are visible.  It appears to be glued on or otherwise attached.
N5LF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 12:11:08 AM »

It was manufactured in 1985.  

Vibroplex Co. changed hands and started the numbering over again in 1980.  The mint condition and stick-on label are also givaways for its recent date. From about 1980 to the mid-1990s, the new owners cut corners on the labels.  

When Felton "Mitch" Mitchell bought Vibroplex in about 1995, he brought back the old-style, rivetted labels -- along with some of the old-fashioned quality. Thanks Mitch!
KA5AQP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 07:00:08 PM »

In retrospect the 1980 date is probably correct.  The person I bought the bug from had 2:  one from 1959 and one from 1980 and he couldn't remember which was which.  I have another Deluxe Original that can be definitely dated to 1942.  It is well worn, but the differences are still apparent.  The switch is missing from the newer one and it just doesn't have the fit and finish of the older model.
N5LF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 12:22:25 AM »

You can date your Vibroplex at their website.  A link to the serial number vs. date cross-reference is near the bottom of their web page.

http://www.vibroplex.com

I like the idea of a nearly 110-year-old telegraph key manufacturer being not only still in existence, but also having a web site - Martin & Albright would be proud!

Alan N5LF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: