Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth Antenna Help  (Read 6508 times)
KI4YIK

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:59:41 AM »

I want to operate HF primarily on 80/40/20/10 meters.  I live in a 2 floor apartment with no balcony and restrictions that say no antenna outside.  Any ideas?

I've been looking at an end fed wire antenna from Maple Leaf Studios
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »

Have you considered going mobile, or portable in a public park ? HF operation in an apartment is going to be a challenge, not just in communicating, but RFI in your neighbor's entertainment systems and even telephones. If your apartment is wood construction, without stucco and wire mesh, you might try a wire dipole tacked or taped around corners of the ceiling. a dipole for 20m would be a doable size to start with, not much expense for the experiment. QRP CW recommended while you see what kind of RFI issues you come up with...
KI4YIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:18:23 PM »

I don't know CW (yet) and I don't have a rig to go mobile with. 
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »

David: 

1.  Homebrewing your wire antenna is fun, cheap, and a great--a truly GREAT--learning experience.  Don't buy your first wire antenna...or your second.   

2.  Can you get into the attic?  On the roof?  Run an end-fed wire to a tree outside your building?  Stick a 10' long metal flagpole out the window, and turn it into an antenna?

3.  Operating 80 meters is great, but the antenna size is probably too big for where you live.  You can have a lot of fun on 20-10 meters with small, stealthy antennas.  If you're set on operating on 80 meters, you'll need to think really creatively or move, I'm afraid. 

4.  An outside antenna--even a less-than-ideal one, is probably better than an indoor antenna.  On the other hand, an indoor antenna is far better than no antenna at all. 

Good luck.  73, Tony N3WAK
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »

Way back in my apartment days I had my best success using loops.  Look around your place to see where you can encompass the most area for a wire loop.

For 160 I actually made a grounded loop, and used the stucco cloth in the building. Those were the days...

Luke
W9RKK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 06:29:14 AM »

David,
For an End-Fed I would go this route.
Build this 10 – 80 meter matchbox yourself http://www.earchi.org/proj_homebrew.html
For the wire, go to the Wireman www.thewireman.com/antennap.html and buy Part #534 'Invisible' Toughcoat 'Silky' 26 AWG wire. Buy enough so you can cut for several bands.
How good is an End-Fed? I brought the 40/20/10 Par EndFedz. I thought the trap was too visible so I replaced the entire wire assembly with the 26 AWG wire mentioned above and cut it for 20 meters. Strung it 6 feet above ground (from my gutter to a tree) and worked UK and Poland from Chicago on 25 watts.

Also the neighbors walked within 20 feet of the wire and never saw it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:43:42 AM by W9RKK » Logged
KK4EAY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 01:06:59 PM »

How long was your random wire antenna? I picked up a 100ft roll of the stealth since that appears to be my only outdoor option.

Like pinball and classic video games? Check out RetroGaming Roundup on iTunes
DJ0IP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »

You say you've been looking at End-Fed wires, yet you started out by telling us you can't have an outdoor antenna.   Where do you plan to install the end-fed?  Either it will be within the apartment, in the attic, or outdoors.

It was suggested to build your own matchbox.  
The suggestion will work, similar to taking a pogostick to hop to work.
You'll get there, eventually.
That particular matchbox is about the last thing I would recommend.
You'll have all kinds of wild SWR, band dependent.

Instead, place a good remote [automatic] tuner at the wire, such as the MFJ-927.
That way the coax running to the shack will have a good match and won't radiate, as it would in the previous suggestion.

The previous suggestion will work, "in a pinch", and I would even do it myself if I wanted to get on the air for a day or two at some portable location.  But I absolutely would NOT do that for a permanent installation.  

73, Rick - DJ0IP

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:38:21 PM by DJ0IP » Logged
AA9ZY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »

I don't know if this will help you or not. However, I cut a 20 meter dipole and feed it with 450 Ohm ladderline. This antenna is up in my crawlspace and the ends droop in the form of a z.

My shack is on the second floor in an unused bedroom and I'm using an MFJ balanced line tuner. I'm able to work 20 - 6 meters with one antenna. I usually run 25 watts or less on ssb and am able to work all of the USA and all of western Europe.

This antenna was cheap and seems to work pretty well. Did I mention that this 33 foot dipole is in a 24 foot long space? Droop the ends and it works fine.

Good luck and keep trying!

73 de AA9ZY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: