Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Key To Buy??  (Read 1135 times)
KB7JUF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2003, 04:19:03 PM »

HEY GUYS...WELL IVE BEEN A HAM FOR OVER 10 YEARS NOW..IM 49 YEARS OLD...WANTED TO BE A HAM SINCE I HEARD CW, I THINK ABOUT 10 YRS OF AGE...IVE TRIED A BENCHER, A NYE, ALL KINDS OF KEYS, YES AND NOW EVEN A VIBROPLEX ORIGINAL BUG..WELL I THINK ALL OF THESE ARE VERY NICE...IF YOU DONT THINK SO BUILD ONE....ITS A MATTER OF WHAT YOU LIKE..SOMETIMES IT JUST TAKES TIME FOR YOU TO FIND THE ONE...KIND OF LIKE A WOMAN...BUT WHEN YOU FIND IT YOU"LL KNOW! BUT THE ONE THING I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER IS TO GET A GOOD STRIGHT KEY AND KEEP IN PRATICE ON IT..BUY THE NICEST ONE YOU CAN FIND, MAYBE ONE WITH BEARINGS, WHATEVER..IVE FOUND THIS TO BE THE TRUE CW OP'S TRUE FRIEND, AND KEEP THAT WORD SPACING IN MIND....DONT TALK LIKE YOU HAVE NO BREATH TO TAKE IN BETWEEN WORDS.  HAVE FUN BECAUSE IT IS...THANKS FOR THE TIME.....CUL 73S KB7JUF SK
N2DE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2003, 04:50:32 PM »

As you can see there's about as many opinions on keys as operators.  So let me throw in my 5 cents - I have tried pretty much everything in the past 40 years, and the key population on my desk has shrunk down to very few that have survived, and they are not the most expensive ones that I ever bought. First I would agree that getting a mechanical bug like the Vibroplex would be mainly for nostalgic value. If you want to send clean CW at higher speeds get a iambic paddle and invest the time to learn the "squeeze" technique - it's much less effort than using a bug or a single lever key with a bit of practice.  Oh yes, the few survivors on my desk:  I think the best price value on the market today is the Begali Simplex, a beautiful gold plated key with impeccable workmanship.  If you can spend more then get the Begali Magnetic which I consider the best key that money can buy at this time, or a Schurr Profi II, or a N4QVF ... - we're entering religious territory here, and I can already see the responses telling you that I'm dead wrong, hi.  Paddles below $100 usually make too many compromises for my taste and I typically sold them at a loss.  Whatever you get, make sure it has bearings with tight tolerances and uses screws with a high thread count for the adjustments.  See you on the bands.
AB0XE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2003, 08:41:49 AM »

Go by feel, not looks. Vibroplex are sure
pretty, but my hand and brain loves the
Kent single paddle. Like me its pretty simple
looking, but it sure works good.
I had 2 benchers and sold them both.
Like an old 60's song she sure is pretty
but can she cook hi hi
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print