Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any sites explaining the different keys?  (Read 6104 times)
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 12:29:34 AM »

Sam

You can register with a random username whatever you want. As soon as you get your call you can change your chosen inlog name in your call in your profile page of that web site.

Remember: the first step to the next failure is delaying. Don't slip a single day.

It has no sense to play with keys when you will never be able to use them. It is a waste of time, just as starting with a key is an essential error, because it consumes time that you did not use for exercising your daily task.

Concerning CW: You know from experience how to fail, I know from experience how to succeed, you have to change something in your behaviour in order to succeed, and I am telling you what that is. Loud and clear, because you asked for it. When you don't do that, you and I are wasting our time, because it simply leads to the next failure, that is for sure.

Bob
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 04:29:27 AM »

Remember: the first step to the next failure is delaying. Don't slip a single day.

YES!

Delay and inconsistency are the biggest mistakes people make when it comes to learning Morse Code. A day here, a day there, and pretty soon a year has gone by and there's no progress. This applies to a lot of other things, too.

There will be times when you absolutely have to delay, because of work, illness, family responsibilities, etc. The trick is to keep them to an absolute minimum, and to be brutally honest about what the real issue is.

One reason folks delay is that they think things must be perfect before they can start. They have to wait for A to arrive, until B is finished, until they decide on C.

But in most cases, if you wait for things to be perfect, you'll never start at all.

It has no sense to play with keys when you will never be able to use them. It is a waste of time, just as starting with a key is an essential error, because it consumes time that you did not use for exercising your daily task.

Yes and no.

Learning to send is an essential part of learning Morse Code if you want to be an operator. But it must not take time away from receiving practice. You have a K-4; that's a good start. There's no reason to get distracted from lcwo, G4FON, etc. 

How much did you practice today?

73 de Jim, N2EY
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 05:34:09 AM »

I'm practicing on the site using the "test" log in and I am still working on K and M with a little bit of U.  The biggest problem so far is the typing while I am listening as I don't type.  But I am staying with it.

Sam
W9KDX
W8VZM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 06:40:41 AM »

Congratulations!

I have been licensed since 1978. I made it to 13 wpm to upgrade in 1980 then promptly dropped CW. I too have decided to go CW and this time do it right. Make sure to lets us know when you are ready to start on the air work. I will work you for practice and it will help both of us! Regular frequent practice is the key to learning (or relearning) it. I am posting about my relearning or remembering cw on my new blog. Good luck!

Ron W8VZM
www.w8vzm.com
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »

Sam,

Don't work under "test" because you do not have records of your progress in that case.

There can not be any objection to register with a random name right now because when you receive your call sign you can change that login name and all your already obtained records are preserved. The unchangeable key of the data base is not your user login name but your user number.

Do NOT play with the U of lesson 2 BEFORE you reach at least one time 90% correct on lesson 1. The speed is default 20/10 don't tamper with that, keep it that way.

You don't need to type, personally I think it is better to write   on paper, type it over at least one out of 5 exercises, in order to give the LCWO computer the opportunity to grade your performance.

Bob
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 07:01:02 AM »

I will be the voice of opposition . Don't worry about every day and practice SENDING the whole time. Sending is more fun than receiving. You also HEAR what you send, more reinforcement. Learn "normal" spacing, not that Farnesworth stuff. Learn the dit letters first then the dah letters, then didah finally dahdit. Practice from previous lesson and u will know code in one week. It worked this way for all OTs.
Paul
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 07:55:20 AM »

Here's some good information on keys...

http://www.myguitarworkshop.com/guitar_lessons/music_theory/music_key_signatures.aspx

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »

I said before: Typically of a forum is that it doesn't work because you get multi replies that contradict and you don't know what the right advice is.

So my 2 cents will be to stop giving advice, at least then you have no contradictions of my mill. Contradiction yields that

a) guys are going to congratulate you with PLANNING something  you multiple failed already, that will make you happy.
Undoubtedly you got a lot of congrats in your life, I did not congrat you when you said you started General licence study, but I did it when you succeeded the long long struggle. Success  is a reason for congrats, not starting, Beginning is always easy when you are not used to persevere and know by experience what failing is.

b) erased because the reader knows what I mean. Nobody convinces me to be  an old timer that is proficient with Morse when he wasn't licensed in or before 1946, and is at present not able to rag chew plain language at 40 wpm Morse code without any artefact's, just by ear. And finally denies the results of extensive research in the past , concerning learning Morse code.

c) When you insist to start with a key, I respect the meaning of N2EY, there can be a compromise: ONLY transmit the characters of the lessons you finished with 90% accuracy, which is a "go on"  to the next lesson. Hence FIRST copy perfect and AFTER that you know how the sound must be, start with using your key on the mastered subset of characters ONLY.
Don't transmit any character before you are able to receive it, certified by 90% 20/10 on lcwo.net

American Proverb: You can lead your horses to the water, but you can't make them drink.

Good luck 73 es SK

Bob
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:06:56 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 12:59:50 PM »

Just to put all your concerns to rest, I am not doing anything with my key until I have a few weeks of practice receiving.  I like hardware and I find it interesting reading about history and development and exotic hand made keys, but this has nothing to do with what I plan to do to learn code.  I have plenty of advanced degrees in Psychology and Learning; enough to understand that my usual system of book learning won't work.  So I plan to follow the program at LCWO to the letter.  I might miss some time, but I plan to stick to it every day.  I have the time and I have the determination.  This is how I got through the difficulty with the General and the same system will get me through Code and the Extra.  Even though there are differences of opinion here, most of them don't really contradict, and I have been around long enough to appreciate difference of opinion.

Thanks for the tip on registering and then changing the log in.  My call sign should be in the data base next Monday or so but as you say, there is no downside.  I didn't know you could change, most websites just don't allow for that.  Your speed requirement will slow me down a lot, but I'll stick with your advice.

Sam
W9KDX
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 02:03:42 PM »

I bought my first key about 15 years before I became a Ham. Learned the code, too, but it didn't last because I had no one to "talk" to. I think the OP is getting too much advice. Get your (first) key. Learn your code. Have fun.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 05:54:23 AM »

Sam,

...The speed is default 20/10 don't tamper with that, keep it that way...

Bob

I find it impossible to keep up with this speed.  Try as I might, I fall behind.  If I slow down the WPM I can almost keep up.  Is there some reason I really need to keep this at 10 rather than working up?

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »

I think the OP is getting too much advice. Get your (first) key. Learn your code. Have fun.

Have fun,, what a concept. There is more than one way to skin a cat, no matter how you "learn" practice makes perfect.
You want to learn Morse code, not learn how to fly a space shuttle!

Paul (he who is hated)
NJ2X

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »

Hi Sam,

I recently posted an article to my website NJ2X.COM that might interest you, http://www.nj2x.com/2011/11/1944-us-navy-training-film-radio.html.  The post includes an excellent US Navy training film on the correct technique for sending CW with a straight key.

Best of luck in your pursuit of CW.

Michael
NJ2X

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:24:07 PM by NJ2X » Logged

Michael
NJ2X
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 06:54:17 AM »

I regret to say and repeat:

Guys starting asking for advice here, for learning CW don't have the right bones to do it.

They prefer to be congratulated with their plans, THEIR PLANS, how ridiculous.
Sam is recorded as lesson 3, right now, on www.lcwo.net, that means he was busy with distinguishing 4 characters from each other, and it is now 3 month further.

So he obviously quit, did not get fixed daily exercises of 15 minutes, starts slipping duty's; and time invested already is complete wasted, so is our time to stimulate him.

So best thing to do when somebody shows up here and says to plan to learn Morse code, is just laugh at him and say he is not the guy with a character to ever learn it. That and only that will possibly be the spark for him to proof the opposite.

CW will be dead within 30 years, because RO's are passed away, and compulsory learning in order to get a license is gone.
When the dots and dashed are vanished on the air, even the guys with the right mentality to learn it on their own will be demotivated.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:09:46 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »

Guys starting asking for advice here, for learning CW don't have the right bones to do it.

That's a pretty general statement. How do you know they won't do it?

They prefer to be congratulated with their plans, THEIR PLANS, how ridiculous.

A plan is a first step. What's wrong with that?

Sam is recorded as lesson 3, right now, on www.lcwo.net, that means he was busy with distinguishing 4 characters from each other, and it is now 3 month further.

So he obviously quit, did not get fixed daily exercises of 15 minutes, starts slipping duty's; and time invested already is complete wasted, so is our time to stimulate him.

How do you know he didn't go on to some other method?

How do you know something didn't come up in his life to stop him (work, family, health, disaster) but now he's back into it?

So best thing to do when somebody shows up here and says to plan to learn Morse code, is just laugh at him and say he is not the guy with a character to ever learn it. That and only that will possibly be the spark for him to proof the opposite.

Nope. Wrong.

The best thing to do when somebody shows up here and says they plan to learn Morse Code is to point them in the right direction. The rest is up to them. Some will, some won't.

CW will be dead within 30 years, because RO's are passed away, and compulsory learning in order to get a license is gone.

Maybe. But so far it hasn't worked that way.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: