Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YEASU FT 897D and MAC?  (Read 4932 times)
KG4ADQ

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »

I am thinking of getting a YEASU FT897D for my first Amateur HF radio.  I have an IMAC and will be upgrading this IMAC to either a Macbook pro laptop or a newer IMAC.  It seems as if most if not all software for radio control is written for PC's.  Huh I am seeing a few bits and pieces of information about running radios with MACs.   Cool
Can anyone enlighten me on this?  Any suggestions, recommendations, thoughts?Huh
I really want to stay with MAC and would like to know if I can operate the up and coming new FT897D with the MAC.
Thanks in advance...
Ralph
KG4ADQ
KG4ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:46:35 AM »

Nobody?  Huh   Discouraging  Undecided
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »

Googled!
http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Radio_Control/

Mac: http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=15114

Doesn't look as nice as HRD on the PC, but it seems to give you the basic stuff.

I have an 897D myself and love it.  I'v eonly recently started using HRD for it. Honestly...just pick up some dumpy PC laptop off ebay. As long as the USB ports work and it was Windows XP or greater...it will run HRD.

You can try a PC emulator like parallels or whatever, but don't be surprised if HRD has trouble auto-sensing your COM port/speed/etc through an emulator.

KG4ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:07:49 PM »

WOW an answer!  Thanks for taking the time to help me out a bit!

I do have an old PC laptop... need to see if it is running XP. 
I figured the FT897 would be much easier to operate with a larger screen and more operating controls thru the computer rather than all the menus and tiny screen.
This will be my first radio other than the Yeasu VX5R and am looking forward to it...   Now to go to HRD and look them over and see if I can do it.

Again... thanks for your reply.
Ralph KG4ADQ

PS... I googled many things... but at times if you don't have the correct terminology it takes you for a ride to many other areas.  Also... it is good to have another person talk about things like this... rather than just read endless instructions etc. 
Thanks again...
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 01:17:47 PM »

Hey no problem, and yeah Google can get...interesting...depending on the search string you use Wink

I'm with you on HRD for the 897 instead of the endless menus. My problem is I spent months w/ the radio and haev memorized most of the menus...so I catch myself using HRD but STILL going to the menu system on the radio instead of just clicking the buttons on the screen haha.

And yeah I'm using a pretty ghetto-looking laptop w/ good results (for HRD anyways Wink ).  I'm going to toss a newer 21" widescreen external monitor on it so I can get some more real-estate for the multiple VFO display in HRD.  Will come in handy when I finally start doing satellite work with it.

And enjoy the radio! The menus only SEEM overwhelming.  Otherwise I love this thing right to death. Does everything, goes anywhere...it really is a great radio in my opinion.

KG4ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »

I looked at my laptop a few moments ago...  It has windows 2000 not XP.  The laptop is a Gateway and I paid about $3000.00 for it back when it was new in 2000.  I think I have it maxed out as much as it will go.  Not sure it will take XP but will look into it. I put all them memory in it that it can handle and the largest hard drive I could find for it... I looked up the HRD... and it said it could operate under windows 2000 but that it would not be supported. 

Thanks for your very positive report on the FT 897... I was getting very worried about it being way too confusing for me, being my first radio.  I think something like HRD would help me with knowing where everything is at... and give me the ability to make adjustments without trying to find it deep in a menu somewhere.

Keep in touch... I enjoy your comments on the 897!  I am getting anxious now. 
Ralph
KG4ADQ
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 05:12:53 AM »

I thought it would be confusing too, and it was the first few times.  I did spend a little time going through every menu command just to explore.  After a few times you start to memorize menu locations (whether you want to or not).

I'd give HRD a try on 2000.  The fact its "not supported" just means you wont' get much help if it doesn't work.  When you first load it it will ask you for the radio's comm speed and com port. Just set those both to "auto" and push the button. It will take a minute or so, but it will find the correct setting eventually and auto-save them. After that, it will connect instantly each time.

I've only had it a few months, but if you ever need any advice or whatever regarding the 897, just let me know Smiley

KG4ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 08:25:08 AM »

A question if you don't mind... does the FT 897 have some sort of scan feature within individual bands?  I don't even know if this is done on any radio...  I am thinking, for example... the 2 meter band... It would be interesting if the radio would scan the entire band for activity rather than my having to turn the wheel all the time.  (at times)

Thanks for all of the replies
Ralph
NX5MK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »

Hi Ralph,

You might also like to put your question here on the HAM-MAC newsgroup:

Send Ham-Mac mailing list submissions to
   ham-mac@mailman.qth.net
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
   http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/ham-mac
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
   ham-mac-request@mailman.qth.net
You can reach the person managing the list at
   ham-mac-owner@mailman.qth.net

The Archive cannot be queried in an easy way, so probably best if you just post your question there. You might also like to look into the FT897D Yahoo newsgroup for answers.

I myself have been with a Mac since 1994 and in the same boat as you. I looked into the FT897D for myself as well, but then went along with another rig, which I should receive any day now...
On a sidenote: you might also want to look into fldigi and jpskmail, they'll give you many digimodes and email via HF via the Mac.

Marcus
KD0JKM
KG4ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »

Marcus... thanks for the info!
BTW...  what rig did you finally decide on?
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 06:50:11 AM »

Or, just create a Bootcamp partition running Windows and you should be better off with your COM Port polling, and hence speed, than using an emulator such as Parallels. I run Win7 on my 2 year old MacBook and Commcat4 under Bootcamp, and the Begali CW Machine, and have no problems.

Two computers in one! Love it.

Don
KF7QZB
W7JOR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »

I just waned to let you know I am running OS X-10.6.8 on both my iMac and MacBook Pro and Parallels ver. 5 and have no problem running HRD.  I also had no problem with Win XP finding the serial adapter.  Someone asked about scanning on one band well, HRD has a little module where you can set up a group of frequencies you wish to scan and you can create as many groups as you like.  Hope this helps.  73 W7JOR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: