Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 746 CW FILTER  (Read 491 times)
W9RAS

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2003, 08:46:54 AM »

I Have a ICOM 746 and recently started using it on CW
after a lapse of a few years . I want to get a CW filter for it . I was all set to buy the 500 HZ filter (FL-100 ) then I see they make a 250 HZ and a 350 HZ . Now I can't make up my mind which one to buy ? anyone using these out there who can recommend which one works best ?? ALSO Anybody have a used one to sell ? email me at rsumptio@remc11.k12.mi.us THANKS AND  "73"  Bob
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 01:32:50 PM »

Depends on what your objectives are. If you're going to do serious contesting, get the narrowest one that you can (250hz).  If it's just for casual ragchews, probably the 500hz would be better.
N4GI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 03:20:39 PM »

If you use too narrow of a filter in a contest, you will most certainly miss lots of callers who aren't exactly zero-beat with you while you are running (unless you spin your RIT).  Narrow filters also can cause you to skip right over stations while contesting in search-N-pounce mode.

I would suggest looking at INRAD for your filter needs.  Cheaper than Icom's plus I see they have a 400hz model which seems to be just about the right multi-purpose bandwidth.

(I'm not affiliated)

GL,
Blake N4GI
VE3IVM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 02:33:57 AM »

For day to day work I would rather replace my 250Hz filter with a wider one, at least 350Hz wide. However for contests I found 250Hz filter is NOT narrow enough. If Inrad comes up with a 125Hz filter, I'll buy one.

I also found when using headphones that sound quality (with the narrow filter on) depends on the headphones  used. Cheap ones stolen from my son's CD player did the best job. Before them I tried stereo headphones that worked nicely for music, but for CW narrow they produced hollow ringing sound unpleasant to hear.

Ivan
VE3IVM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 02:37:35 AM »

"If Inrad comes up with a 125Hz filter.."

I meant here a 125 Hz filter for IC-706. Inrad still does not offer filters for that rig.

Ivan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: